Bringing home a chinchilla from a breeder!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plstwd

Hi! I'm a new chinchilla owner and I will be picking up my chinchilla in a few weeks from a breeder. I don't know if the same rule applies to me (since I'm picking it up from a breeder), but should I try to interact with my chinchilla the first few days? When I bring him home should I just put him in the cage and just leave him be? I read somewhere that you shouldn't let them play outside the cage for the first few days. I'm assuming breeders play with the chinchillas at a young age which will lead they to be more sociable. Thank you.

You probably dont want to let them out. Chins are often highly stressed out after being rehomed. New ppl, new cage, new surroundings, new smells and sounds, etc. It can be a lot on them. Letting them out might only scare them more. Its usually better to wait until they are adjusted (which in some cases could take a couple months).

As for interacting with them physically, that depends on the chin. If he is coming over to you then it shouldnt be much of a problem. But if he is scared and cowering away then i wouldnt force it. That will only stress him out any more.

I just took in another chin on sept 5. He was cowering away and scared. It was just about day 30 before he made his first attempts to come near me willingly. Some time it just takes time.

Okay just making sure. I read that you shouldn't keep your chinchilla cooped up all day, so that's why I'm asking. The breeder said she plays with her chinchillas everyday.

Chins don't need play time daily. She may handle them every day but kits shouldn't be allowed to run around outside of the cage till they are over 6 months old.

Back