Bringing Chins Places?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

At work I have my chins as desktop wallpapers. One of my coworkers used to have a chinchilla who passed away several years ago, and she loves chinchillas so much - she doesn't come into my office without exclaiming "oh! chinchillas!" at least once. She wants me to bring one to the office, and a few other people have been asking me the same thing. I said maybe, considering that fall is coming even though I take the bus and subway, the ride isn't long and the temperature outside stays around 15 degrees C most of the day. The office is air-conditioned and quiet. The only potentially too warm time for the chin would be in the metro, which I thought maybe I could have a frozen coke bottle covered in fleece to keep cool for the 20 minute ride.

Taking a taxi is not an option, I would rather save myself the $40 and not bring a chinchilla to work haha. I only work 5 hours a day, so it wouldn't be an overly long day for her and she would never be left unattended. I would of course bring Abby, simply because she's much tamer and docile, while Chia is hyperactive and very very hard to handle.

My question is, is this a good idea? I know my coworkers well (we're an office of less than 20 people) so I'm not afraid anyone would hurt her... I think it would be fun, but maybe Abby would not lol

Have you thought about the possibility of your chinchilla catching something like a URI or strep from someone else who is using the metro that day?

I brought my boys to the chin sitter before vacation. I couldn't believe it but he escaped from a impossibly small hole. I wouldn't have him there all day either. If you only work 5 hours why don't you visit during hours you aren't working.

Agree with Nikki, I would suggest inviting them over too.
Unless necessary no need to stress your chin out. Also bus doesn't allow animals in there except for working dogs.

I didn't think of a lot of things, so I agree that it's not a good idea. I don't want to invite them over, haha, I know them but not thaaat well...

PS: Buses do allow animals though, at least in Montreal, I've seen a lot of people with cats and other pets in carriers.

I'm with Cuddlebug...too many illnesses going around in that kind of environment to control. One or even three people in your home...a LOT different than the dozens of people your chin will be (even casually) exposed to on that kind of trip. And, the fall is cooler...but it's also cold season ;)

:dance3:
Agree with Nikki, I would suggest inviting them over too.
Unless necessary no need to stress your chin out. Also bus doesn't allow animals in there except for working dogs.

We are allowed all animals.

Personally I'm a fan of educating people hands on.
But hands need to be washed before and after, and people need to be quiet.
I've taught several classes of young kids about my different animals. But precations need to be taken.
Personally I would go on a day off like some one else suggested if this is really what you want to do.
I've had to take my girls on the subway for an hour at a time on several occasions, busses, taxi, street car my only concern is with heat when I do so...
I keep the carrier covered and avoid talking to people since several of them want to see and touch and bother...

The stress of the trip and all the strange people might not be worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not too sure it is worth it. If I had a lift to and from work I would maybe consider it but I don't think that will happen. If I lived a bit closer I could also consider the possibility as well...

I would think that chin shows are way more stressful though, no? And also very susceptible to getting chins sick?

Latest posts

Back