Breeding mutations

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlovesRoss

I have a standard grey male and I want to get a fancy colored chin to breed with occasionally. If I got a white mosaic chin to breed with my standard grey how will it turn out? Thanks :) the pic is of my standard grey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 53
You will get mosaics and standards out of that pairing. Does your standard grey have a pedigree? Did he come from a breeder?

Breeding, even just once in a while, needs to be taken seriously. Do you know how many chinchillas are in shelters/being released into the wild all over the US? Just email any rescue and ask. Chinchillas live for a very long time, which makes them prone to being passed around many times before death.

I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding. On the contrary, I'm trying to encourage you to breed responsibly. The chinchilla in the picture, while I'm sure he's a great pet, is pet quality. If you don't have a pedigree and have not had him assessed by a show judge or show breeder in good standing then he shouldn't be bred. You can get good, high quality, pedigreed chinchillas for the same cost as a lot of pet chinchillas. Just find a good breeder in your area. One that only breeds pedigreed chinchillas. If you post your location I'd be happy to assist you here :)

One last thing, in case you're wondering why we're saying this...aside from chinchillas living a very long life and being the new "dog and cat" in shelters...chinchillas can also have very serious (deadly) health conditions. If you do not know anything about your chinchilla other than it's color/age then you do not know if he's carrying any of these health conditions.

What traits does he have to pass on to his kits? When responsible breeders pair chins they aim to improve the breed not aim for a 'fancy color'. Are you familiar with all of the genetic issues a chin can carry like malo? Does he have a pedigree? If the answer is no, then you are breeding a rescue. You wouldn't breed a dog from the pound since you don't know anything about its health or genetics and a nonpedigreed chinchilla is the same. Please find a good local breeder and learn about the basics of proper breeding. Where are you located? We can help you find someone.

I can't add much of anything that has not already been said.
Listing your location and asking where a local mentor can be found will be a great beginning provided your chin has a history ( aka pedigree ) to begin with. If you did have something come up with said animal(s).....you can go back to your breeder and seek help if its possible.
Knowing what animals to place together is significant to understanding the best outcome for a litter in regards to health, temperament and possible show quality. Heartache can and will happen with breeding. Death of kits, possible death of mother, no milk, prolapse of intestines and the list goes on.....
By you not understanding the basic genetics of color is NOT a good start for breeding That is a bare bone minimal requirement.

I'm very grateful to those who are hobby breeders or ranchers who have helped me in the past.
Please join us at a show. New people have a great time joining us. And many breeders welcome any chance to talk "chin shop."
And we know of many young people who have had parents drive them. I'll just add that info since I don't know your age.

Added note after posting: Stay away from anyone breeding Fluffy and Princess and says that is their pedigree.
If your animal has a good pedigree, I encourage you to bring it to show and find out what the animal needs for a mate to improve that line.

Last edited:
Breeding, even just once in a while, needs to be taken seriously. Do you know how many chinchillas are in shelters/being released into the wild all over the US? Just email any rescue and ask. Chinchillas live for a very long time, which makes them prone to being passed around many times before death.

I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding. On the contrary, I'm trying to encourage you to breed responsibly. The chinchilla in the picture, while I'm sure he's a great pet, is pet quality. If you don't have a pedigree and have not had him assessed by a show judge or show breeder in good standing then he shouldn't be bred. You can get good, high quality, pedigreed chinchillas for the same cost as a lot of pet chinchillas. Just find a good breeder in your area. One that only breeds pedigreed chinchillas. If you post your location I'd be happy to assist you here :)"

One last thing, in case you're wondering why we're saying this...aside from chinchillas living a very long life and being the new "dog and cat" in shelters...chinchillas can also have very serious (deadly) health conditions. If you do not know anything about your chinchilla other than it's color/age then you do not know if he's carrying any of these health conditions.

I live in Yakima Wa

Also how do I know someone has commented on my thread? I joined yesterday so I'm just figuring things out. I have been find my threads by going back and looking for it but is there any other way to know of a comment?

Sadly even if you bought a chinchilla with a great pedigree isn't always best to breed it. We bought our first chinchillas as a kit that the breeder was growing out for show. We paid a lot for him because he had potential to show very well. His parents both won awards but Edgar didn't because he's pet quality. This can happen all the time with a young grower because until they are shown or seen by an expert it's really hard to say yes this chinchilla should be bred.

I live in Yakima Wa

Also how do I know someone has commented on my thread? I joined yesterday so I'm just figuring things out. I have been find my threads by going back and looking for it but is there any other way to know of a comment?

I'm on the tapatalk app right now but to see just the new posts on threads from the last time you visited there is a tab along the blue bar near the top that says "New Posts" I believe.

Just popping in to say please clean your in wall heater. Had one of those in Pullman and it will smoke really bad with all that fuzz on there when the coils heat up. Also, you can put some saran wrap on it to keep the lint out until you use it this fall. The front cover should pop off so you can vacuum it out. :))

They are having an ECBC Field Day in Washington State in October that I would highly recommend going to. Here is the link to the information. Shows are a great way of seeing what breeders are working toward when they are breeding.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39177

Yes come, the WA breeders are really friendly, they answered all my questions at the first show I got to go too. I even got a show quality male for my own breeding while I was there. So it is a good way to buy high quality animals too!

Another thing to think about chinchilla breeding is that they seem to have more issues to me than the average small animal. My first litter ended with an emergency c-section and one dead kit one live kit that I had to hand feed for 8 weeks. I almost lost the mother who was also my much loved pet.

Just popping in to say please clean your in wall heater. Had one of those in Pullman and it will smoke really bad with all that fuzz on there when the coils heat up. Also, you can put some saran wrap on it to keep the lint out until you use it this fall. The front cover should pop off so you can vacuum it out. :))

Thank you for your concern! Haha I will get it cleaned! Lol

Back