Breeding for Violets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

So, as a few of you know, violets are absolutely my favorite mutation. I really want to do it right though. I know violets and sapphires are somewhat lacking compared to other mutations and I know that as a fairly new breeder it's a large jump, but i'd like to have a violet line. So my question is, when breeding for violets, what would the best setup be? Standard V/C, Violets, or what? What are violets lacking? Size, confirmation, color?
Thanks in advance, I want to start off right!

Other then the fact your working with a recessive gene, improving the quality in violets works the same as any other color chin. You'll make the fastest gains by using quality standards and producing nice carriers and then using those carriers to produce your best quality violets. Violets typically have a courser textured fur and many have fur that tends to lay at the tips creating a "frosted" appearance over the top of the animal. There are also many different shades of color in violets, the blue-ish gray hues are much more desirable then the brownish chocolate color. If you start with good quality violets, you can actually produce nice violets breeding violet to violet as all my class champion violets were produced that way, but I was very picky about the quality of the violets I bred and knew what to stay away from. The best advice is to try and start out with good quality violet lines and use quality standards to continue to improve those lines.

Latest posts

Back