Breeding for darker veiling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The darkness of an animal really does not matter in improving veiling. The two are totally different characteristics. You must breed well veiled animals to get well veiled animals in return. Sometimes a light animal can be better veiled than a X dark one.

Good to know. Thank you!

The darkness of an animal really does not matter in improving veiling. The two are totally different characteristics. You must breed well veiled animals to get well veiled animals in return. Sometimes a light animal can be better veiled than a X dark one.

Are the odds of getting better blacks come from breeding TOV to TOV or TOV to extra dark standard? How do most people improve veiling?

I always pair my blacks to standards. The main thing to look for on the standards is the veiling tip which will help improve the veiling on your blacks. You also want to be careful with getting too much veiling in a black. I've seen it happen a couple times where a black was paired to a super dark standard and the resulting offspring had too much veiling through the neck so that the veiling extended onto the belly.

Elisa, I think your best bet is to take your blacks to a show and talk to one of the ranchers about what standard they would pair with your blacks. They can give you a lot of information and help you pick an animal that will compliment your blacks very well.

Elisa, I think your best bet is to take your blacks to a show and talk to one of the ranchers about what standard they would pair with your blacks. They can give you a lot of information and help you pick an animal that will compliment your blacks very well.

Taking my girls to a show for professional opinions would definitely be my first choice. I'm hoping to make it to the CA state show, unfortunately I won't know until right before the show if I'll have the time off work. I wish it was closer to me.

I have two nice standard males I've been growing out who haven't been shown yet or even looked at by anyone with more experience than me. I'm hoping one of them will be a good match for my blacks. If not, odds are good someone would know where I could find one at the show.

Are the odds of getting better blacks come from breeding TOV to TOV or TOV to extra dark standard? How do most people improve veiling?

TOV to TOV matings contain the genetic lethal factor. That combination would not be ideal for trying to improve veiling. It can be done, but the results would most likely be... disappointing.
For more info, search "lethal factor". There is a whole slew of information, opinions, fables, etc on this forum about the issue.

Best recommendation would be to find an exceptional standard that you would like to use to help contribute to breed improvement.

Back