Breeding collars....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookinaround

FUZZ BUTT ENTHUSIAST
Just wanted to remind everyone of the importance of double checking breeding collars to make sure that they are secure. The newer style 3 piece large collars are especially important because they have 3 rivets to worry about and not just one. Someone on here before suggested "double collaring" animals and today I realize that I should have taken this advice as I had a large, aggressive female get out of hers and it caused devastation. So please everyone when you get a chance go look at yours for me just as a safety check if nothing else.

Do you spread the points on the rivet once you have it on the female? Be it one or three it you do not spread open the rivets they can come undone. I really like the new 3 prong collars Ryersons are now making and selling and will be ordering 100 soon.

No I didn't how do you do that exactly??? Is there a tool???? Honestly I thought that if they "snap" they were on.

Last edited:
I use a small screw driver and can show you at the show this weekend if you bring a collar with you.

Rhonda - don't beat yourself up! So sad for your loss as I know that both of us had high hopes for this girl! You did the best that you could and you really couldn't have done anything differently! Hugs!

Sorry for your loss. This is one of the reasons I can't STAND overly aggressive animals whether it be males or females, human aggressive or chin aggressive :( Cause you just never know when something like this will happen and unfortunately even if you check your chins 3x a day, you know WHEN they get loose it WILL be between checks

That said, I too do the rivet trick...I also double collar some but, in general, not because of aggression issues. I have a VERY small few animals that are THAT aggressive. One is a male, and he's "selectively aggressive" He's beat 3 females where their ears were shredded and their scalp was pretty beat up. Any other male and he'd have been gone but, well, this male has the right stuff and it'd be a total shame to loose him. He's also impregnanted (quickly) several other females and is currently sweet with all his current ladies but I have to be super vigilant introducing new girls to him because he'll either love them...or try to kill them. Otherwise, I have maybe one or two females that would fight with other girls if they got loose but in my herd, that's still pretty minimal.

MOST of my chins are very placid with other chins. For instance (odd story coming). Sometimes when a female is known to be pregnant I shut her off and remove her collar so she can relax a little better. Well, story is one day I was cleaning cages which I do once a week. I don't often weigh my breeding females unless I suspect they're pregnant and want to confirm with weight chart. SO, I spaced out on this one. I was lookin' my girls over and one in particular caught me "odd". After checking her over for a few minutes it dawned on me...where the heck is her collar?!? She was in her cage, never found in another cage? So I began searching her bedding. This turned up NOTHING?!? This leaves two possibilities, either I'd removed it when she littered...forgotten about it and never put one on when I opened her back up to her male (meaning she was uncollared in her cage for at least a month by that point) OR she'd gotten it off the previous week, it'd been buried and discarded in the bedding during cage cleanings (meaning she'd been uncollared in her cage for at least a week). Regardless, she'd never left her cage and caused no problems!

I've double collared several females that had gotten singles off more than twice. NOT because they were aggressive, simply because they like to block the run and live in it when they get the collar off. It's not possible to be bred in the run ;)

Anyhow, knowing your animals and having few aggressive animals really helps minimize horrific instances such as this. Proper collar fitting, spread rivits, and double collaring those that need it also helps. Checking a few times a day doesn't hurt either, but as I said...when things go bad they go bad quickly and it will NEVER been during a collar check :( aside from aggressive animals getting their collars OFF...one of my FIRST horrific incidents involved a collar put on too loosely. That particular day I did my morning check and did not check again until late at night when it was feeding time :( A girl had apparently tried getting her collar off via slipping it over her head. Well, it was JUST loose enough to get her bottom jaw through wedging the collar into her mouth :( she was unable to get the collar back down (or up and over) and was "laid up" for quite a while after that as I recall, from stress.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Pandora is in solitary confinement till I have time to cool down and decide what to do next with her. She will definitely be double collared at a minimum with spread rivets. I found 2 of the 3 pieces to her collar so far in the run part of the cage (no rivets at all). All I know for sure is that thank goodness Cheryl emailed me this morning asking me to go to the show this weekend cause I discovered this disaster when I went to dust. There were 2 other open females who could have been additional victims...2 others were shut off thank heavens...

Just this morning I was checking animals before leaving for work and found a female got her collar off and got into another females cage. Both are still alive atleast for now, the one is pretty beat-up. So I took jags suggestion and spread the rivot apart with a screw driver. We will see at this point!

I haven't ever heard that about spreading the points on the rivets. That info would be good to put in the MCBA/Empress magazines in case other breeders who use runs don't know (maybe it has been mentioned and I missed it). I pair/colony breed, but I still try to read everything I can about different breeding set ups.
Sorry Rhonda, I know you were excited about breeding her.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a female. :( I also make sure I spread the rivets with a screwdriver. Ronda sells metal ones if you can't find them.

I've had two collars off in the last two weeks from the same male, I think he is pulling the rivets out because I can't find them and they take me a lot of effort to get off. Both females went next door and were cuddling. I think it has made a difference going to open wire runs vs. the closed walled ones I was using but I'd rather it not happen at all.

Just wanted to mention that none of Wolverine's other females have ever slipped a collar before and Pandora has never been known to be a killer before now. (She was just a grumpy sprayer...) Point is it only takes once...RIP sweet Mabel. You didn't deserve this and boy was it hard at feeding time last night. (She was the type of chin you just HAD to stop and scritch...)

Kyle & Nicole I REALLY hope that your girl pulls through! Fingers crossed for her. Thank you everyone for your kindness and support...

Last edited:
Back