Breeding Cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choob99

Hi all,

I'll be using FN cages to house my pairs, but wondering what cages you move mom to when she is pregnant? The FN's are obviously not baby safe so just wanting some opinions on what to move pregnant moms to?

Couldn't you put a baby safe wire mesh all the way around the cage? Just curious because I was looking at getting a few FN cages. We put our females into smaller single story home built cages when they are getting close to delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Critter nations have small enough bar spacing. That's what we are using now but the new version of them has questionable quality. Easily broken bars and some just don't go together without a bunch of filing and smashing with a mallet. I asked a little while back for alternatives and got directed to quality cage company. They have cages of all sizes and wire spacing plus do custom cages. I can't say the price is any better than a CN even with it's possible problems but there are a lot of options for various space constraints and needs. We may still go with another CN due to cost comparison per cage size and knowing the tricks now to getting a difficult CN together.

FNs are fine so long as you put mesh or some other wiring around the cage that are no less than 1"x1/2" and you remove ledges, etc. that the female could injure herself on. You'd also want to remove the male unless you want them to breed back.

Latest posts

Back