Breeder Having Trouble Determing Sex, Apparently

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelseabell

So I'm supposed to be getting my hedgehog in the next couple of weeks and I originally requested a boy.

The breeder emailed and said that the recent litter had three boys with no indication that us getting one would be a problem.

Yesterday she emailed and asked if we would be ok with a female. I emailed her back, pretty irritated honestly, as we had picked out a boy name that we were pretty psyched about. I asked why she had told us there were three boys as if there was no problem when apparently there was.

She responded that they originally thought they had three boys and three girls, but actually had four girls and two boys. Said she was going to check again tonight.

My research has indicated that sexing hedgehogs is pretty simple (they are like a month and a half old at this point, by the way). Should I be alarmed that this breeder can't tell the difference for sure?

I'm purchasing from Heavenly Hedgehogs in Portsmouth, VA (found them on hedgehogcentral.com). She already has my deposit and it's too short notice to get one from another breeder, but I am concerned about her credibility if she can't even sex the hegehogs properly. Am I totally overreacting?

Latest posts

Back