Brand New Chin Mommy!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenefire

Hi there everyone! My name is Gina and I am actually a new chinchilla mommy once again. I used to have chinchillas when I was a child, I had two when I was younger (though not at the same time), but haven't had one in many years. I have been wanting one again for quite awhile and this Christmas my mother in law offered to help me purchase one as a Christmas gift. So now I have my brand new baby Visenya!

We picked her up from Petsmart (as much as I HATE getting animals there). The woman who worked there told me that she had been purchased once and returned because the previous owner's dogs did not get along with her. At any rate, I brought her darling self home and she has been doing splendidly ever since.

Currently she is in a temporary rabbit cage, I am waiting for her three tiered monster of a thing to be delivered next week. I have to say she is probably the most social chinchilla I have ever had. That isn't to say the ones I had when I was younger were not social, but this girl is over the top. If you call her name she scampers to the door of the cage. When you open it she will just hop into your hands and believe it or not... cuddle. I have never had a chin who wanted to jump into my arms or cuddle lol.

I think she is white... but I might be wrong! She could be some other chinchilla color I just don't know about. I had never really seen a white chinchilla in person before. She does have little tiny speckles on her ears that are grey, but they are like little pin prick size speckles or freckles if you will. This is my girly and I think that about sums up my experience so far!

12341016_10206954768179065_7537779237665686012_n.jpg

Eating a raisin mommy gifted her.

12316113_10206883147188585_721454660171591695_n.jpg

Hanging out on her ledge.

https://www.facebook.com/gina.edwards.5872/videos/10206954772859182/?l=1088530160118987214

Little video of my social butterfly. :D

Very cute, but I would be careful with raisins as they are bad for chinchillas. You should try a healthy treat like a plain/unfrosted shredded wheat or plain old fashioned oatmeal (uncooked).

She is very cute, a pink white it looks like. Looking at the video you posted, you want to remove that seed treat thing, chins should not have sugar or seeds, and those things are seeds stuck together with honey. As already said raisins are not good for chins either, way too high in sugar. Also keep a eye on the plastic, if she chews on it you are probably going to have to remove the shelve until you get her in an appropriate plastic free cage.

Since you haven't had chins since you were a kid I assume it's been a few years, I suggest you take some time to do research on here if you haven't already. Somethings have probably changed in terms of general knowledge about diet and stuff. I know I ran into a similar situation when I got my current two, a lot of info I got back when I first got chins as a kid was no longer good.

How adorable! I know what you mean about social. My first came from pets smart. She was bought and returned three!!! Times. I heard that and couldn't not give her a forever home. Not a month later I learned they are like gremlins in a swimming pool. Somehow one day you end up with three more. Lol!

Lots of very good advice here so far! One thing about the shredded wheat though. Depending on the brand, the plain one can still be very sweet. I did that yesterday, hubby bought a plain box, happened to taste one, and had to go right back out for a new brand. I use the dollar tree general store branded ones- I find the cheaper the box the better chance it's not got any sugar.

Good luck with your sweetie! She is super cute!

She is so pretty! Congrats on your new little buddy. Her personality sounds awesome :)) You'll need to share pics of her new home once she's all moved in!

Latest posts

Back