Braces :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

So I got braces today. It took a good 2 hours for everything, and I'm not in any pain really unless I try to eat... I didn't really know what to expect in terms of how I would look, but I didn't expect to look in the mirror and think, "oh my god, I'm HIDEOUS." Afterall I know people with braces, and people who've had braces, and I never really thought they looked particularly bad...

It took a little bit of time, some sleep, a shower and makeup, but I feel like I've regained some of my self-esteem.

Was Day 1 of this process daunting for anyone else? To me it feels so eternal, and I guess since I don't see any changes yet (of course), it just seems like it's going to take foreverrrrr.

Its been so long since I've had braces myself-- 20+ years-- but my daughter had them put on in June. Her teeth were all messed up, poking in every which direction. Now, just 4 months later, they are almost completely straight! I was amazed how fast it happened. So while the time you have to wear them seems forever, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly you'll see results. It will make it seem worthwhile, I hope.

My teeth are not toooo bad, I just have an overbite and alignment issues (which is called malocclusion in humans too!) It's great to hear that it only took 4 months for your daughter to see vast improvement! I'm just eager for the weird feeling in my mouth to go away, and to be able to chew again. There's a weird spacer in my teeth so I can't close my mouth properly, so my jaw keeps slipping and my front top and bottom teeth knock together very unpleasantly.

I guess now it's just waiting for it all to get better!

I had braces about 4 years ago and to me the spacers were the worst part and I had an underbite so I had to have the rubberbands...I hated those things. I had mine for about a year and it really did nothing for me except close the gaps :( but I didn't ever use my retainer so now all my teeth have shifted....so I can't stress enough to use the retainer after the braces come off.

It may take about a week. Stock up on soup and smoothies!

And toothbrushes, toothpaste, and real listerine! Nothing worse than someone getting their braces off and having a bunch of cavities around them because of all the new places for stuff to get stuck.

sonicare toothbrush and irrigators can help a lot to keep your teeth clean with braces. Our irrigator stopped working and trying to help my son floss his teeth with braces is a nightmare. It takes so long to thread the floss under the wire for each tooth. An irrigator would be so helpful! My son only complains about his teeth being sore for 2 to 3 days after he visits the orthodontist. Oh, and since food will get stuck in your braces after each meal, I would always have a toothbrush with you wherever you go. As terrible as braces can be, you will certainly love the way your teeth look very soon!

lol thanks guys!

Before getting the braces on I bought a really amazing electric toothbrush in preparation, but I don't think I'll be using it yet - the vibrations on my sore teeth will probably make me wanna die!

I wore braces for almost 5 years, because my teeth were so maloccluded. But, after it was all over, I have a smile that is (I think) my best feature.

Best advice I can give you is warm saltwater rinses. Put a tablespoon of salt in a large glass of the warmest water you can stand. Take a mouthful at a time and vigorously swish it around in your mouth and then spit it out. The salt is soothing and the heat from the water will be like a heating pad for your gums/teeth and help with the pain, especially after the dreaded adjustments. Do this for 5-10 minutes at a time throughout the day, multiple times as needed. Works like magic...I promise you!!!

I agree with keeping your teeth clean. I had a Waterpik that made it very easy to do, and you don't want to have discolorations or a cavities when the braces come off.

Good luck -- you'll be thrilled with the results!!!

The salt water is a really good idea!! Wish I had thought of that last night! The pain is really significantly better today though, but I still can't chew. I think I've probably lost 5lbs already.

My mom is supposedly buying me a Waterpik for Christmas, but that's a good few months away still... I was considering buying one myself but I can't afford it right now, so I'll have to do without it for a while!

Back