Bottoms for Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

area07

I was wondering what is the most recommended bottom for a ferret nation. I know about the Bass Pans but I was just browsing through the Ferret Nation Club thread and saw a lot of wooden bottoms. Do you guys order those or make them yourselves and if you make them yourselves about how much did they cost and what kind of wood did you use for the bottom, flat part? I have been unable to find a chin safe wood that comes in a big, flat piece like that. My chins are not litter box trained, we tried and tried but finally gave up. The litter box was more trouble then it was worth and they weren't using it anyways. Are the wooden pans okay if used with either fleece or shavings? I'm about to buy something new for the bottoms of their cages. I'm not a huge fan of the fleece, my girls chew big holes in it and just go sleep inside of the liners but I will continue to use it if that is the best option. One thing that I like about the wooden bottoms is if you make them yourselves you could do high sides to keep the poo in and I could possibly use shavings again.

Anyways, thanks for any help!
Ashley

I have the Bass pans since it was easiest to order online and have delivered. As far as I know, most people are making the wood trays themselves and using kd pine with tiles on the inside bottom. I like the idea of the taller sides, but my beavers would chew that down in no time anyway, and I would worry about the extra weight with all the tiles. The Bass pans are nice and light comparatively.
If your chins are chewing the fleece, the best option for you would be to take it out and go back to shavings, which means you need to either build yourself a box or buy the Bass pans.

I had a local cage company make my pans, similar to the Bass pans. The cost per pan was a little more than Bass, but I was also buying in bulk and saved a ton on shipping.

I think some people use the original plastic pans and make a wooden border to keep everything in. After that, they just use shavings as usual.

I use wooden guards around the edges, and the original plastic pans covered in fleece.

Thanks guys, I was wondering about the wood soaking up the urine. My plastic tray for the girls is long gone! They got into the fleece and chewed it up a little bit and I tossed it. I know how unsafe plastic is, it just wasn't worth the risk any more.

Do you think the regular sides on the bass pans will be high enough for wood shavings or should I customize it to make them taller? I appreciate all of your help!!

Ashley

Back