Bonding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryu

Owned by a Marshmallow
I currently have a 1 year and 5 month old male Chinchilla. In a few days I will be bringing home another chinchilla, which I am hoping will be male too.
After Quarintine and after the new Chinchilla has settled again after being moved into my room, I would like to try and bond them. I have seen articles on bonding Male and Female, but none on Bonding Same sex pairs.
My idea is when they're bonded, buy them a HUGE Cage (Skyline Universal Flight Cage) for them.

Any ideas on how I would even bond them? I have heard of putting their cages together and starting to hope for the best when I put them in a neuteral space or squishing them together in a tiny space...

The big issue would be the fact Ryu hates to be held I have never managed to hold him without him drawing blood, ever. And this one will be the same (Pet store Chinchilla's). It would be difficult for me to just put the two in a nuetral space at the same time... (I was told if you put one in, and go back for the other, that is now the first ones Territory.)

I'm sorry if this is confusing.

I think you might wanna try to do the similar thing to male and female: put them into separate cage and make the cages next to each other for like 1 month or so, it all depends on how they like each other's smell. If they do, cool, let them play in a cage but with your supervising, otherwise just be patient until they both accept each other.
It is just what comes up on top of my head, but it might worth of trying.

I think you might wanna try to do the similar thing to male and female: put them into separate cage and make the cages next to each other for like 1 month or so, it all depends on how they like each other's smell. If they do, cool, let them play in a cage but with your supervising, otherwise just be patient until they both accept each other.
It is just what comes up on top of my head, but it might worth of trying.

Thanks :) I will try to do that, lol. The only problem is, who's cage would I put it in? With the male and female one, they say put the female in with the male... o.o Or, I guess, does it depend on which chin is the more relaxed?

You are welcome. Oh well, I mean, I'd put the two cages next to each other first to see how those two like each other, if they bond quickly, you can try to put either of them to the other cage to see. And don't forget, female is usually more aggressive than the male, and make sure they both are above 8 months old, to be safe, i'd make sure they are above 1 year old. Just for the possibility of getting the female pregnant.

You don't want to go throwing them in a cage together if it is home to one chin already. The best method involves a neutral cage. This means you must scrub it down, get all new ledges, rearrange things differently than they were before, etc... You want to remove any ownership over that cage before putting both chins in it together.

First, keep the cages nearby so they get used to the presence of the other. Then you can try the cage within a cage method or just the smoosh method then put them in the neutral cage.

Chins of ANY age can be paired successfully. Search the site for introduction methods. You will find lots of good information about how to go about it and different methods. The only reason you would wait 'till they are 8 months old is if they are opposite genders. In that case, the female needs to be at least 8 months old and weigh a minimum of 500 grams - 600 would be better. With same gender animals, age does not matter.

Back