bonding with chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailord00m

Hey guys. So ive had my chins for about 7 months now. A friend had given them to me and they were about a year when i got them. I have been trying to bond with them (talk,read to them ect.) ive been noticing they are a bit more friendly (well one of them). I dont think my friend paid very much attention to them.. I just dont want them to be afraid of me and they like to run and hide. Does anyone have any tips on to possibly have them be a bit more friendly? Im feeling a bit discouraged but i know chins take time to warm up..but since they are adults is their behavior permanent?

Behavior is never permanent. Sometimes it just takes more or a different tactic. What I have done is put the pellets in my hand and rest my hand on the food bowl and pretend to be a statue. I got comfy and waited for almost an hour. Once they started to take pellets from my hand and not run away I would wait and let them sniff me. Just be patient!!

The best advice is have patients, some chins take days to come around others years. Each chin has their own personality though, just like humans, some are more shy and skittish, others are more outgoing and brave. If your friend didn't pay much attention to them they may still be getting use to the idea of interacting with people, they don't yet know what humans do (are they friend or foe?). If they were ignored for about a year expect it to take at least that long for them to come around. At only around less then 2 they are still young too, so give them time. Keep doing what you are doing, talking, reading, giving treats, handing them chew sticks, pellets, and/or hay, etc. They will get the idea that you are good and you being around equals good things. You could try giving a small chew stick every time you enter the room, then they will eventually be waiting when they hear you coming.

Latest posts

Back