Bonding two males together, question!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikaylax333

Hi there, everyone! I'm new to the site and had a quick question, i'm going to start the process of bonding two males together. I think my guy would do better with a friend. Is it possible that my chinchilla will have a better chance of getting along with another male chinchilla because he was with one when I adopted him?

There is really no guarantee two chins will get along, each chin has it's own personality, so just because he got along with another chin before doesn't mean he will get along with a different one or that the new chin will get along with him. It's like asking if you will get along with some random other human because you had a friend before.
As to getting a male, yes, not because he will be more likely to get along with it but because if you put a male and female together you are going to get kits. Unless the chins are from genetically good lines and pedigreed and you have done research and have the money don't put a male and female together.

Also keep in mind that you should get another chin because you want another chin not because you want two to live together. You should be prepared for the possibility of needing two cages forever, bonding doesn't always work, or only works for a time then falls apart and they need to be separated. Also make sure you quarantine the chin for 30 days in another room before intros, and keep in mind bonding two together can take weeks to months, you can't rush it.

I bonded mine with another male (male to male) took 4 days while bonding in separate cages while they can see each other I highly recommend taking them into a chinchilla safe are and letting them both run in an open space which is neither ones environment and if they get along there make sure to clean the main cage out completely so neither can become territorial of it and place them under strict watch in the same cage more than likely if they are able to bond for an hour in the same environment they will be fine living together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bonded 2 rescue boys several years ago. It took a couple of months because my original chin was very territorial. Then , one day, when they were running around together, Oliver let Milo go into his cage, didn't chase him out (as he had been doing) and they snuggled together on one of their shelves. I went through many occasions of thinking it would never happen, but it worked fortunately and Oliver was so much happier for it. He also learned from Milo that hay is for eating - he'd never had any hay or dust and had been kept in a hamster cage and fed hamster food.

If you have the means and space to permanently house both chins separately, in case it doesn't work out, then go for it. Hopefully it will. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back