Bonding time help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprinceton

Hi,
I've had my chinchillas Aurora and Belle for about 2 months now. I have a quick question about bonding.
I know you're supposed to spend a lot of time with them and have at least an hour of out of cage playtime a day. I'm more than happy to spend hours with them! The problem is, they won't come out. They'll come play for about 10-20 minutes then they'll go back in their cage and sleep. They're still nervous around movement and run back in their cage at loud noises. How do I get them used to me and play with them if they don't come out of their cages? Advice appreciated thanks!

Spend time just being near the cage, talking, singing, reading aloud, things like that. You can also sit with the cage door open and put your hands and arms in the cage (depending on the cage you have) and let them crawl on you. Petting and playing with them inside the cage (handing them sticks and other toys, making them follow toys or treats around the cage, etc) is also bonding time. Some chins take a long time to trust and bond, there is no way to rush it, you just have to be patient and go at the chin's pace. Sometimes, depending on the chin's past, it can take months to years to get a good strong bond. It also depends on their personalities, some chins just enjoy being out more then others, some enjoy being touched more then others, and some just seem convinced they were made to be adored but not touched or leave their cage. If they are still getting started by loud noises then that sounds to me like they aren't fully comfortable with their surroundings yet, give them more time.
Chins don't need a hour of out of cage playtime a day, they need at least an hour of attention a day, but that doesn't need to be all out of the cage play time. Unless you have them in a very tiny cage they are probably getting exercise inside the cage too, so they don't need as much out of cage time. Chinchillas can get overheated easily, so even if the room is within ok temps and humidity levels, the act of running around can heat them up, just like it does humans, so maybe 10-20 minutes is enough for them. Adult chins tend to know their limit and will go back in the cage or otherwise alert you (if the cage is not accessible) when they are done.

Spend time just being near the cage, talking, singing, reading aloud, things like that. You can also sit with the cage door open and put your hands and arms in the cage (depending on the cage you have) and let them crawl on you. Petting and playing with them inside the cage (handing them sticks and other toys, making them follow toys or treats around the cage, etc) is also bonding time. Some chins take a long time to trust and bond, there is no way to rush it, you just have to be patient and go at the chin's pace. Sometimes, depending on the chin's past, it can take months to years to get a good strong bond. It also depends on their personalities, some chins just enjoy being out more then others, some enjoy being touched more then others, and some just seem convinced they were made to be adored but not touched or leave their cage. If they are still getting started by loud noises then that sounds to me like they aren't fully comfortable with their surroundings yet, give them more time.
Chins don't need a hour of out of cage playtime a day, they need at least an hour of attention a day, but that doesn't need to be all out of the cage play time. Unless you have them in a very tiny cage they are probably getting exercise inside the cage too, so they don't need as much out of cage time. Chinchillas can get overheated easily, so even if the room is within ok temps and humidity levels, the act of running around can heat them up, just like it does humans, so maybe 10-20 minutes is enough for them. Adult chins tend to know their limit and will go back in the cage or otherwise alert you (if the cage is not accessible) when they are done.

Thank you so much! You've been immensely helpful. I actually managed to get Belle to sit on my hand last night in the cage. She started falling asleep, it was so cute! Sometimes I try to watch tv on my laptop in there, but they don't seem to like the noise. 😕 I guess I'll have to spend more time talking to them to get them used to it!
I don't think they're overheating. Their feet are cold when they start playing and it usually takes about half an hour (on the days they stay out to play) for them to warm up.
They actually have 2 cages hooked together with a tunnel and a chin spin wheel :) I'm more worried about bonding time than exercise :)

Thanks again! I'll try talking to them more and maybe read a book down there every once in a while so they get used to my presence.

Back