Bonding problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_els__

Hi! I'm quite an experienced chinchilla owner, but I could really use some help with the problem I'm facing at the moment.
One of my elderly chins passed away, his mate, Ash, is only 2 years old, and I wanted to add him to a twosome , Sven and Clark I already had. I did it as I usually do, by putting a smaller cage in their home and taking turns in spending some hours in it so they wouldn't be able to hurt each other. Now it was already difficult at first, but after a few weeks Ash and Sven really started to like each other. However, Ash kept trying to attack Clark. Around 2 months have passed and they aren't fighting anymore, so none of them have been staying under the smaller cage anymore. But Clark just doesn't seem his happy self anymore, he seems sad. Sometimes the three of them sleep together, but Ash and Clark never sleep on top of each other. Most of the time either only Ash sleeps with Sven or only Clark does. I'm worried about Clark (I must admit he's my favourite chin I've ever had). Should I keep trying since they aren't fighting, or should I try to find a different arrangement for Clark or Ash? I have one other group of 3 males I could add one too, but it's definitely not my first choice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Wow, how many chins do you have? Guys more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say keep trying! It took mine 5 months to finally bond. Or maybe introduce some of your other males? Maybe one of them will bond better? I guess it's kind of like friends... lol some people we just get feel closer with than others?

Back