Bonding chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainierainbow

I have a male chinchilla that I've had about a year and a half. My sister wants a pet and we were considering getting my Dexter a little buddy. I am concerned though that he would not bond with the new chin. He sometimes seems lonely but he also can be a bit of a brat. I do not want to get another chinchilla if they have to live separately. Does anyone know the likelihood of two males getting along? Obviously it's different with every pair but on average does it go well? Please let me know if you think this is a good idea. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should only get another one if you are willing to house them in two different cages. You'll need to quarantine the new one so you'll need two cages anyway. If you are willing to have them live separately, go ahead and give it a try.

Average experiences will not help you... It's all in the individual chins.

Last edited:
As said unless you are prepared to have cages for as many chins as you have, don't get additional chins. Even after quarantine, (which means 30 days in a separate cage and separate room) it can take days or months for the bonding, and you can't rush it. If you go too fast you may end up back at square one, and it may never work out or they may like each other for awhile and then decide, seemingly randomly, they want to kill each other one day, sometimes even after years together. It really comes down to personality of the chins, some like having company, others can't stand having another even near them and some like having a playmate but not a cage mate. It's like throwing two random humans in the same one room apartment, what are the chances they will get along? Same for chins.

They may or may not get along. It really depends on their personalities. Make sure you have a 2nd cage and all supplies ready and am prepared to use them perminently in case they do not get along.

Latest posts

Back