Bonded pair fighting ONLY at playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
I don't know what has been going on lately. My bonded pair of standard grey brothers who are around 4 years old (and have been together their whole lives) have always gotten along great. One night a few months ago, I believe in december, they woke me up fighting like crazy in their cage, fur slipped everywhere but no blood. I separated them for a bit and put them right back together and they acted as if nothing had happened, grooming and cuddling each other.

Since then they have been totally fine, cuddling all morning/day and then playing and behaving totally normal all night. Just recently (within the last week) every time I take them out for play time, it is like immediately when they see each other Buddha starts chasing Bubba and bubba slips fur all over the play pen and they start jumping all over each other making angry sounds. Always within 2 minutes of leaving the cage. And every time I have broken it up, put them back into their cage, and they IMMEDIATELY act like nothing happened. They even groom each other, cuddle on a ledge, and tonight they were even trying to share the same piece of hay without even an keck. I have no idea what is going on! I don't feel like they are at risk in their cage but I don't want to just never let them out for play time! it's like they step out of the cage and become different chins.

I don't know what to do :wacko: little nut-cases are driving me crazy.

On a lighter note, my recently introduced pair are absolutely perfect together and won't leave the cage without checking to make sure the other is coming with :)

I personally would separate them for good. These are all signs that they are not getting along and one day you might come home or wake up to a dead or injured chinchilla.

Back