Boarding my Chinny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabe

I feel terrible that I have to do this, but I have to take a seasonal job in Alaska. Which I love, but I can't take Chinny with me, which I hate. I was thinking of leaving him With my cousin who has never had a chinchilla. I trust him though. I mean before Chinny I'd never had one either ya know. I found quality mutations boards chins. Has anyone ever done this? Or know of any other places in the Washington or Oregon area? I think I'd just feel better leaving him For the summer in a more knowledgable place.

Or is there someone on here who would be willing to help me out? I wish I could take him with me , but I live in a teepee and can't control the temp or anything really. I'm going to be gone from May thru beginning of September.

If I were you, I would board with quality mutations. It's better to have someone who is knowledgeable about chins and can spot signs of illness easily.

I honestly think with the right instruction your cousin could be a wonderful pet sitter. The issue I would worry about with a place that boards is all the animals that come in and out and health issues they could pass to your chinchilla. Also, most boarding places keep the animals in fairly small cages due to the fact they care for so many. I think if you got your cousin on here and instructed him in what to look for and how to care for your chinchilla, he'd be fine. I'd be sure to pay your cousin at least something as well. Also make sure to leave him money for supplies for your chin and vet care, just incase. Everyone was a first chin owner at one time. We all are still learning what works for our animals. I think your chin would be much happier if somewhere with their cage and toys and everything. As well as with someone who has the time to give them attention and such.

I honestly think with the right instruction your cousin could be a wonderful pet sitter. The issue I would worry about with a place that boards is all the animals that come in and out and health issues they could pass to your chinchilla. Also, most boarding places keep the animals in fairly small cages due to the fact they care for so many. I think if you got your cousin on here and instructed him in what to look for and how to care for your chinchilla, he'd be fine. I'd be sure to pay your cousin at least something as well. Also make sure to leave him money for supplies for your chin and vet care, just incase. Everyone was a first chin owner at one time. We all are still learning what works for our animals. I think your chin would be much happier if somewhere with their cage and toys and everything. As well as with someone who has the time to give them attention and such.

ITA!! You have a couple months to teach your cousin how to care for Chinny and have him sign up here and if he has any questions while you are gone he can come here to get them answered. I wish I could help you out, I live in Montana also, but we are getting ready to put our house on the market and could be moving this summer (I hope).
Lauriane

So I have an update. Chinny will be spending the summer in Denver CO. A friend of mine has taken care of chins in the summer before and is wonderfully responsible. I feel so much better about leaving him with her. Now who knows of good vet in the Denver area?

if you do end up going with your cousin, start teaching him/her now what to look for, whats safe / not safe..etc... and then you can also leave a detailed instructions ... that way, you wont have to worry so much.. good luck.

Maybe teach your cousin how to properly care for your chin? I don't think RCR (Quality Mutation Chinchillas) will be available to do any boarding, as she has sold out and is getting out of chins.

Back