Bluegrass Grass Hay for Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchins

Is it okay to feed the bluegrass grass hay or bluegrass/alfalfa grass mix from Kleenmama's Hayloft to chinchillas? What nutritional values does it have?
Any info/imput would be great!:)

I have some of her bluegrass. My chins like it very much. Its a soft hay, similar to orchard grass. I usually mix it with some stemmier timmy hay to work their teeth better.

Thanks for the info :) Are you really impressed with Kleenmama's Hayloft's hay? Price is good till you get to shipping :( But it's still healthier and cheaper than buying from a pet store like Petco!

The hay seems very nice. I can't comment on shipping-- I actually bought this hay from Alli713, whose chins didn't care for it. So I think I got a deal. Alli sent along a small sample of Kleenmama's 2nd cut timmy which my chins also loved. I've looked at the site before but didn't end up purchasing because it seemed a little pricey. Right now I am ordering the 25# boxes of Oxbow Timothy through my feed store. Also expensive, but it lasts a long time and I don't pay shipping. Then I supplement with the alfalfa cubes and loose bluegrass, orchard, oat hay, etc.

Okay, thanks for the info. the only problem is that all the feed stores around me only carry the Kaytee brand of hay, of which I am very unimpressed with. I looked on Kleemama's Hayloft and priced stuff out and it appears that it would be $30 for 15 lbs of 2nd cut Timothy Hay ($14 for the hay, remaining amount is shipping), including shipping and $40 for 25 lbs of 2nd cut Timothy Hay ($18 for the hay, reamining amount shipping), including shipping. Hope that makes sense :)

I'd do the $40 for 25# if I were you. If shipping is that much you should buy more at one time! Have you asked the feed store if they'd be willing to order Oxbow in for you? You can go to the Oxbow site, type in your zip, and see the nearest store that is a dealer. Even if they don't have it in stock, they should be able to order it. Honestly though, that price for Kleenmamas is pretty good. I think I paid near that for my 25# box of Oxbow.

That's good to know. She also has 45 lbs for $60 including shipping, but I don't know how much I want to store. I have a herd of 100 chinchillas, but most of my breeders receive hay cubes and hay is just a treat (I also give hay to nursing moms and all the youngsters)

I have bought bluegrass hay and most of my chins will not eat much. I am going to see if my new rabbits in June will eat the rest.

that's a good thing to know. I have over 100 chinchillas so I'm sure if some didn't care for it, others would. But the stuff from Kleenmama's Hayloft is an alfalfa/bluegrass mix, and my chinchillas love alfalfa. But I have mixed thoughts on that :/ I will for sure get Timothy Hay from them though.

Back