Blood...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

I woke up this morning and saw blood on one of Tinker&Tainga's shelves. I immediately looked over both girls and found that Tinker's heal was bleeding. The only blood on either of their fur was just a small amount behind Tinker's heal. It just seems like so much blood for a cracked heal! Is it ignorant to believe that? Would you take them to the vet to see that it didn't come from anywhere else?

Tainga has a history of dry cracked feet. It looked like she may have had a small crack as well, but had cleaned herself up by the time i got to her.

I just recently switched back to Aspen bedding because the paper bedding wasn't absorbing enough and the reason i stopped using Aspen, in the past, was because they were getting dry cracked feet =/

Tainga has a recheck appointment tomorrow with the vet. Should i bring Tinker along and mention it to the vet?

Thank you!

Attachments

• WP_20151227_001.jpg
    WP_20151227_001.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 14
How do the feet look besides being dry and cracked, any inflamation or infection? If not, I would wait and put some bag balm on it, just my opinion.

Just cracked and callused. I put some Vaseline on. I'm just astounded by the amount of blood that came from a tiny chinchilla foot.
Thank you

A couple of weeks ago, I had a male whose foot did the same thing. The difference was that his foot bled so much that his tail and haunches were soaked in blood. I thought for sure that he had to have a major cut on his tail, but once I cleaned him up, there was just one small hole on the bottom of one back foot that was bleeding and would not stop. It took me 30 minutes to get the bleeding stopped. I waited 'till the next day to put vitamin E oil on it so that it could scab up and not reopen. I like vitamin e because it doesn't harm them if they lick it off.

My goodness! How do such little creatures bleed so profusely?! Thank you, I will pick up some vitamin e oil today

Yes, they do bleed quite a bit when they have even a small crack on their feet, I woke up one morning and thought I walked into a murder scene.
Searching them all over for any injuries only to find a small cut on his feet.
I just cleaned it up with some antibacterial solution and applied bag balm for a few days.

Latest posts

Back