Blood! Please help new chin owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MollyAnne

I got my chin yesterday and she hasn't been drinking that I know of, and she pees in the same place every time, and when I got home today I saw what looked like blood where she usually pees. Do chins get there period, is she peeing blood!? Please help really worried!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mark her water bottle. We got a new baby on Saturday and it helps to know how much she's drinking!

As far as the blood, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can help!

Are you sure it's blood. Chin pee is an orangey colour that sometimes is mistaken for blood. I would see if she has any discharge coming from her vaginal area.

Here's a picture, she is being kind of 'sluggish' and i'm hoping its just because she's tired. Please help.. :(

Attachments

• LaciEmergency.jpg
    LaciEmergency.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 84
Sounds like it is probably just darker colored from dehydration. Hoping that is all it is:)

the picture is too small, can't really see it but if they are dehydrated the urine is very dark orangey-red

Check to make sure her water bottle is working (sometimes ball type nozzles get stuck)and mark the water line with a marker

you can also put down white paper towels under the fleece liner to see if she continues to pee dark fluid

Dab it with a wet paper towel. If it comes up orange on the towel it isn't blood. If it is bright red it is. Chin urine can come in some alarming colors depending on what they have been eating.

Thank you all so much, i dabbed the spot with a wet paper towel and it was a orange brown color, thank god. i then gave her water through a pet medicine giver and she drank it, and soon after she peed and it was normal! I'm so happy! thank you all!

I don't know if it's any help but sometimes I find the superpet bottles are a little slow to get the water flow going after being emptied. I usually give it a good hard shake until the water spurts out a little bit.

I think it was mostly that the chin didn't recognize the water bottle as she was on an automatic waterer before. (Even though the spout is the same)
Good news is I think she is doing better (from what Molly told me) -much more active :)

Yeah, I actually stay away from the glass super pet ones because I've had 3 that just stopped working. I know they're plastic, but the plain regular petco ones are the ones I've been using for the past 5 years and they always work great for me.

I got a superpet bottle a couple weeks ago. Absolutely useless water doesn't come out I shake it, I fill it differently it's no use after 3 seconds of water it just stops! Never have this problem with living worlds glass bottles went and picked another one up 3 days later. Thank god my chin was being hand fed at the time and was getting enough water from that!

I've run into similar urin colors usually only when the pee was confined to one small spot on a marble tile and started to dry as it was and got darker and darker lol was fairly alarming for me too until I wiped it with paper towel!

Latest posts

Back