Bleeding From Nose... Can he make it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibyte

Zombie Lurker
Despite the horrid dream I just had (about losing half my chins due to snake invasion and Dmitri needing a vet at the end) I went up to check on them and Dmitri's nose is bleeding.

He's also sneezing occasionally and wheezing/horking. After the wheeze/hork sound he rubs the nose/mouth area of blood.
His cagemate Benjiman is breathing fine and he (Dmitri) was eating/drinking fine last night. He's not really lethargic but less active than normal. He still seems to be searching for food and water.

I've separated the two and called the vet (UCD Med) and the appointment fee (200) is all I have. (No credit either.) I tried to ask about a surrender care program but it doesn't seem like they have one.

At this point I'm wondering if we can hold out till tomorrow for the regular vet or if I should bring him in and see what they can do, or just hang in for end-of-life care.

It took me all the composure I had to write this, so please... I'm panicking inside.

Is it possible he has a bite wound or some other abrasion on his nose? If that is all it is, he should be OK. If he is actually bleeding inside his nose, he could have a serious problem ranging from head trauma to infection and needs to be seen now. I hate when this happens during the holidays and there are no regular vets available. Hoping for the best for the little guy.

After a couple hours of terror, I cleaned up the nose with a warm compress (as suggested by another post and the vet over the phone) and it looks like the bleeding has stopped.

He probably hit his nose on the rock they had in the cage. Nevertheless I'm keeping a close eye on him tonight and we'll be seeing the vet tomorrow.

And the rock has been removed, no more rocks for the silly boy!

Attached is a photo of him with his nose cleaned up.

Attachments

• 2013-12-25 14.27.03.jpg
    2013-12-25 14.27.03.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 44
I had a pair of degus and they both tried to get in the wheel at once. One ended up getting whacked by the turning wheel and bled everywhere. Splattered the inside of their glass tank, rubbed it on objects, streaked their wood house... It was a mess. He was perfectly fine an hour later and there really wouldn't have been much the vet could have done anyway. So long as the bleeding stop just make sure his breathing remains clear. Hold him up to your ear to listen for clicking or wheezing that might indicate something wrong with his respiratory tract or a blockage from his nose.

Back