Blastomycosis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

designer chins

My Doberman was given a preliminary diagnosis of Blastomycosis this past weekend. Anyone dealt with Blasto before? We'll take all the insights & prayers we can as we battle this...

Thank you for sharing whatever you can!

I have never dealt with it but it looks like it is a fungus and can be treated with antibiotics. i hope your dobi is ok.

The vet started him on fluconazole right away, though the Blasto test might not be back for several days yet, just based on his symptoms and the occurrences they've see of Blasto in our area. The sooner the better, apparently, and the test pops a lot of false negatives. He'll have to be on the meds for quite a while, sounds like. So far he is not showing the loss of appetite some dogs do on the fluconazole, but I'm not sure how quick that hits or if we are just getting lucky. His temp is down to normal from 104.5 on Saturday--that's progress! and 2 of 4 lymph nodes are no longer inflamed. Baby steps...I just hate seeing him this way! For a fungus that can incubate for 6 months to a year, it sure hits hard when it decides to show itself.

Hi, I have never heard of blasto, and I'm so sorry your dobie came down with it. Do you know how he picked it up in the first place? I have a dobie as well, and grew up with one, and am a huge fan of the breed. They are such energetic dogs and it takes a lot to keep them down! What kind of symptoms did he have that made you take him to the vet? It is so hard when our animals are sick! I wish him a speedy recovery!!!

He probably picked it up on one of our walks near the creek or the water. The vet indicated that the spores are most commonly floating about in late summer or early fall, particularly due to the drought up here. When I got home from work one day he was lathargic, had a temp, and his lymph nodes were swollen. The symptoms vary (cough, shortness of breath, trouble breathing/rattling sound in lungs, etc). They sure manifested in short duration!

His temp is back up a bit this evening (102). I know they can get worse before better, as the fungus & yeast are killed by the meds & sometimes make them feel worse before better. I feel so sorry for my sweet boy! He's usually fairly independent (affectionate, but not as "needy" as his little brother--a real dobie momma's boy!) but right now all he wants to do is sleep with his head on my lap. He is such a doll!! I want him to feel better--patience is not really my strong suit! Ate well tonight though, that's a plus.

Thank you for all the well wishes!!

Bad night last night, and he didn't want to eat this AM. He ate a little when I mixed his Orijen with ground venison. I think I'll make it through today on chocolate & Coca Cola...I'm so tired! But my primary concern, obviously, is getting the big boy through this.

Including a pic of my big boy the day his little brother arrived home, because it makes me smile & I need that today!

Attachments

• the boys.JPG
    the boys.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 108
Stunning dogs!! Any picture of a big and little version of the same thing = ultra cute!

Wishing for a speedy recovery for your dobie!!

He has responded to the meds as far as his fever coming down & his appetite improving slightly. His body condition looks better, too: not his gorgeous sleek self, but not as bony & hollowed out as a week ago. His breathing is terrible, though, and just walking up the stairs causes him to pause to recover. My poor baby! He's been pretty bright in the late afternoons & evenings, worse in the early mornings. His lymph nodes are still like golf balls (maybe a bit smaller than that...), and the vet hopes they show more improvement by the end of this week. Given his age (my big boy is nearly 9!) its hitting him hard. We have meds for another month, easy. He's getting savvy to the pill-in-the-cheese thing, and we've switched it up to pill-in-yummy-smelly-meat. He sleeps A LOT, but I can see improvement so I am holding on to that.

Horrible turn of events: Ty stopped responding to his meds & took a turn for the worst. The vet ran more tests, and found a very aggressive form of cancer. Now my gorgeous boy is on meds to keep him eating & comfortable for as long as he has the courage to stick with me. I'm devastated, but determined to be strong for him and enjoy every minute I have left with him!

(now I'm crying again so I'm going to quit typing!!):cry3:

I am so very sorry Wendy. I hope you are able to spend some quality time together and that he is free from pain.

I am soo sooo sorry. What terrible news :( I hope you can be with him a lot and enjoy his company for as long as possible. Our pets are so wonderful and the hardest thing in the world is saying goodbye.

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear this. It is always so difficult to see such a decline in our beloved animals. My thoughts are with you and your big boy. Enjoy every minute with him.

I'm so sorry :( I've had a doberman or two in my life for the past 20 years. They truly touch your heart. Praying for you and your boy.

Latest posts

Back