Biting through the cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

Hi guys. So I have had my two girls, Lilo and Chelsea, for quite some time now. I had tried to introduce them early on when I first got them, but their personalities just didn't seem to click so I resolved to keeping them separated. They share a Ferret Nation cage (one in the top half one in the bottom) but it is divided in the middle. Recently, they both found a place where they could dig through the fleece and they chewed up a hole in the plastic pan big enough that they could fit their noses through, and both of them have little bite marks on their noses. I'm not sure what caused this, as they have been fine like this for months. But anyway, is there anything I should do for these bites? They seem to be scabbed over and not too big. And what do you recommend I do to keep them from chewing through the only thing separating them? Thanks in advance!

Bass Pans. They are metal trays designed for a ferret nation cage. Since they are metal they cant chew through them, or ingest any of the plastic. - The only thing i would advise with it, is place a sheet of fleece over the bottom bars, then lay the metal tray on top of that. They way chins jump around, you will get that metal on metal sound from the tray and the bars. The fleece will dampen that out.

They also have 2.5 inch lips around the cage'

You could tile the floor of the top cage and then put the fleece over top of the tile. You could put down a thick bottom of safe wood and put the fleece over that. Really, anything solid and thick and safe for a chin to chew on if they do chew it. Also, make sure to check the divider regularly to ensure that it is not being chewed through. Another idea is to get one of the metal pans with the higher side because it would be impossible for either of them to chew through it.

As far as the bites, just keep an eye as they heal, infections usually look red angry, have pus start forming, feel warmer to the touch, swollen, ect. Make sure if the bites are on the nose that the girls aren't breathing funny too. If you think the initial cuts need to be cleaned because the fur is matted ect, clean it using sterilized water or saline (salt water, you can find home recipes online for the right ratio). I would leave any healthy looking scabs alone though, its natures band-aid.

The metal bass pans work great, they are deep too so they tend to trap more poo inside the cage, and this way your chins won't be able to chew through the metal to get to one another.

Back