Biting cage bars

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla City

I had always thought chins bite cage bars to try and escape (a search brings up replies of attention, I'm not so sure, maybe attention for me to let them out). When I first got my chins and for the first few years I had cages with larger bar spacing and the cages sat on the floor. When it was playtime, often I would just open the door and let the chins come out on their own. I am now thinking this is why they used to bite the bars, they were trying to get out to run around. For a while now I've had them in a "flight cage" up on a stand and they can no longer just hop out of the cage (unfortunately they have not been let out as often either :( ) but I have not witnessed any bar biting. I'm not sure if it is because the bar spacing is smaller (1/2") or if because they have never been allowed to hop out of the cage so there is less thought of trying to do it on their own. Does this sound like a possibility?

My main reason for asking is that when I get a new cage, I had been thinking about a playpen and setting it up like a cage extension so they could move from the playpen/cage as they wish for several hours of the day but then I could put away the pen when I need more room. I am worried though that this will cause them to bite the bars when the cage is closed and the pen put away which I do not want them to do. What do you think?

i just wanted to let you know, that they might be able to jump the height of the playpen.. at least some of mine do..:hair:

My youngest girls Volt and Luna can jump over a 3 ft cardboard pen when they feel spunky. I will line the hall way with it so they will not chew on the wall or doors.

oh yeah I know, I guess I should have stated a playpen with a top, like a cage but something that I can fold up out of the way. I have several ideas about what to use but I may just scrap the idea if they are going to bite the bars and just keep taking them out and carrying them to the bathroom or hall to play.

Last edited:
My momma chin's got a pair. Ill give her that. The only one that will jump from my floor into her FN cage and back out with no help or assist. And theirs no rela room for a running start or anything. She does it from a stand still.

Mine bit and chew their bars sometiems as well. Theirs a few reasons that iv found. Of course they might want out. They may also want to get to soemthing/one specific. Or they might jsut have a little bit of extra pents up energy (yea i no lol)

If they know that bar biting will result in playtime, they'll always bite the bars because they think that's what gets them their playtime. If you only allow them to play when they're calm, the bar biting won't be an issue. My four know that rule all too well.

I'm confused about how you would attach a playpen to a cage securely. Can you explain that a bit more?

I'm confused about how you would attach a playpen to a cage securely. Can you explain that a bit more?

If I had a wire one, I'd just clip it to the front of the cage or use wire and twist-tie it. I had considered using the panels from the old type of superpet cages - they clipped together and many people just used zip-ties to hold them. In that case, the front of the cage would act as one side of the playpen. Otherwise a marshals or ware type playpen, I could cut an opening to match the door on the cage.

Hmmm... interesting idea! As long as the playpen is completely enclosed, your chins aren't walking on wire to get to the enclosure, there aren't any rough wires to cause injury, and there aren't any gaps for them to escape through, it sounds like it would work fine. Personally, it seems like it would be easier to scoop them up and put them in a playpen for playtime than to attach and detach one constantly with the setup that you're describing.

As others have mentioned, my primary concern would also be potential escapees. My guys can fit under doors that have a 1.25 inch gap and jump 3 feet easily. If you do decide to go the extension route, I'd definitely recommend posting pics to get feedback from other members on the final set-up, especially if you get into wire cutting and zip ties, as they don't sound chin-safe to me.

How they react to the removal of the cage extension is completely dependent on how you condition them to behave. If you detach the extension and walk away, ignoring them, they'll see it as punishment and will be more likely to display signs of stress. On the other hand, if you give them a stick and praise them, that tells them that everything's fine. It may take a few rounds, but once they realize that they get something out of the deal, they'll be calmer. That's not to say that they won't sulk until you put the extension back, but the sulking will get better in time.

Yeah in reading your response I was like um why wasn't I just going to put them in there? The reason I wanted it attached to the cage was so that the chins could go back to their cage if they wanted and could use their litter pan if needed (yeah I know I could just move it to the playpen). I think I was just feeling bad that I am not getting them the largest cage available but it is more than adequate, so I'll just wait and see how I feel about it after their new cage gets here.

I am also worried though that with the larger bar spacing they'll start biting at them again. I never let them out to play because they bit the bars before, nor gave them any attention for it, at the time I thought that's just what they did.

i'm not sure of the details or what cage you have or are planning on getting, but i do know that ware makes a playpen with a door that matches up with the door on some of their cages. i can't remember which ones, so i can't promise they are chin-safe, but if thats the route you want to go, it might be worth looking into :)

Back