Bit off more than I can chew

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartchins

I check craigslist daily in the morning then later that evening when I get a chance. Ive been looking for another FN for a few months. Well Friday morning there were 2 chins looking for a home. I inquired about the chins, it wasnt long before I went to the ladies house that had the chins. Ofcourse they were adorable! Mosaic female and a standard male, she called them a non breeding pair that had babies once?? The info I got was very limited- then I found out she only had them for 3 days:-( which explained why she didnt know much. My daughter noticed right away that one chin had a "problem" with her eye. The lady w/ the chins said when she got her home she realized her eye was bad then had to go back to the breeders house to get cream for her eye. She was told its just an allergy to dust and the chin needs the cream after she has a bath. I have researched and think the best way to try to apply the cream will be to use the towel and wrap her up. Im not excited to do this to a chin that doesnt even know me, let alone trust me. I contacted the lady who I got the chins from (btw, she said she needed a new home for them asap because her husband was Really allergic. She said she contacted twilight chins but she wouldnt take them back- she told her to find them a new home.) Im not sure what to do. I really want to help this chin but not sure if I should take her straight to vet, try the cream (which had no istructions, its called terramycin) first and see if it helps. Im afraid to make things worse. What do you think?

Attachments

• 28f3e98a-a5ed-4648-ae77-24edc9128c72.jpg
    28f3e98a-a5ed-4648-ae77-24edc9128c72.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 1572e3d4-737f-4c63-872f-6e2d9a386155.jpg
    1572e3d4-737f-4c63-872f-6e2d9a386155.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 28
  • 00L0L_kDI6kLc07pE_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_kDI6kLc07pE_600x450.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 057727b2-1aa2-493a-a45e-9d6542775439.jpg
    057727b2-1aa2-493a-a45e-9d6542775439.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 27
I got ahead of myself writing this, I shouldnt of named any names. I tried to edit/fix it and couldnt figure out how. I sent a message to get help to and am waiting. My husband and I got a chance to look Gabby over and theres other things wrong with her. She has some sort of rash under her arm pits and her fur is matted all around her private area.

If they didn't know much, and your not sure yourself, i would suggest going to the vet. If they are right about the cream then its just an unneeded visit (tho it could give peace of mind.) If they are wrong, it could help save the chin.

I wonder the full story behind twilight chins regarding these. I would hope a 'breeder' would know better then to house males and females together when they are not breeding. Much less sell them out that way. And not taking them back after 3 days because of owner health problems? That seems cruel to the ppl and to the chins... :/

The eye could be a simple ventilation issue or it could be something that requires antibiotic drops. I'm not sure I would want to be smearing her up with a gel/cream every time she takes a dust bath. Her face is going to be a mess of matted fur after a while. If you take her to a vet and have her looked at, ask about just flushing her eyes with rewetting drops after a dust bath instead.

I sort of wondered about fungus with the eye and then your comment about the armpits and genital area. Fungus likes to pop up anywhere there is dampness and then it spreads like crazy. Something else you might check with the vet about. You can treat it with some Tinactin powder in the dust bath as well as Blu-Kote or Tinactin cream on the exposed areas, but you need to know if it IS fungus first.

I hope you observed quarantine.

I wish someone had contacted me first to get the full story. I originally purchased that female back in 2008. She came from a breeder advertising her on CnH. I was told after noticing her eye that it was something that came and went, and how to treat it. I rehomed her in 2010 shortly after I was dx with cancer. I fully disclosed her eye issue to the new owner then..
This year they contacted me asking if I'd take her back, which I did. Her eye was very irritated when she came here. I treated her and thought I had found her forever home.
Less than a week ago I was offered the chins back. I didn't have the room and with my autistic son's behavior escalating I couldn't take them on. I knew someone wanting chinchillas, I told them about some chins needing a new home, about the females eye issues that come and go. I donated some furniture, meds, lent her an extra cage, as well as names of vets in our area that treat chinchillas. She messaged me on Facebook saying she couldn't keep them that her husbands allergies were really bad. Before I even read or answered her message she had posted them on Craigslist and rehomed them.

Im relieved to have some info on them. Since it is an on going problem Im not going to rush out to the vet but I will get her there within a week or so. Besides this whole eye thing, one thing IS for sure- these chins deserve some stability! They will get that here, I will be their forever home. They seem to be settling in so far pretty well and even though I heard Gabby likes to stand up and spray, I havent seen her do that! Yay!:clap1:

Back