Birth defects took my baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bmwerner

I just lost a 6 week old baby chinchilla, named Boris, from a birth defect in his intestines causing him not to be able to poop. He had 2 surgeries to try and fix the problem and 6 enemas and was on so many medicines. He had a rectal prolapse that started it all so if your chin has one know that its serious! He finally gave up his brave fight to live and the autopsy showed there was no way we could have cured it. He had scar tissue in the middle of his intestine. It seemed to have been there since birth. We would have had to do a exploratory surgery, find it, cut it, reconnect it and pray a lot. He was such a trooper. He took critical care every 2 hours like a champ. I know he's in good hands now, but Im posting this so everyone who reads this will know the seriousness of rectal prolapses. Dont lose your baby like I lost mine. Dont just settle for the intestines being put back in. Do some more tests and see what caused it. It'll save their life.

I'm so sorry. Know that you did what you could, I can't think of anything more (except the surgery which would have been incredibly risky at least) that could have been done and I second the thank you--for informing people about serious conditions chins can get.

Wow, what a lot for such a little guy to go through :( It sounds like you did everything you could for Boris and he sounds like he was such a fighter. I'm so sorry he lost his battle.

For a little one he surely went through a lot. I am sorry for your loss. At least you tried your best.

Back