Bird toys, safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherie18

Hey guys I been looking at the toys at some of the vendors on here, & some of them look really similar to the ones that my petsmart sells in the bird section-just wondering if anyone has ever use bird toys & if any of them are safe?

If so it would be a WHOLE lot cheaper for me, but I only want to get safe things for Cherie!

Yes, some of the bird toys are safe, depending on what they have. Now I am a bit picky, and have both birds and chinchillas. I think chin people are more in tuned, and careful about what woods are used, as well as where they came from, how they were processed etc. Again, just my experience, and I've had birds for a long time! So if your going to a pet store, I would wonder what type of wood is on the toy. Some of the shredder toys with vine balls, shapes are your best bet. Just make sure no leather, plastic. I'll probably forget something else, but sure another person will chime in.

I have both birds and chinchillas and would not give either of them a toy from Petsmart or Petco. I am just way to paranoid about what kind of woods and supplies are used. I find the prices of the vendors on here and the bird vendors I use are much cheaper than buying them in the store anyway.
But if you have to shop at petsmart make sure they are the ones without plastics, or poly rope or cotton rope. You have to be careful what they are strung with because that can be dangerous to chins as well.

I would suggest checking out the chin supplies for sale section here, you will find tons of chin safe products at reasonable prices.

Good luck!

I use a large colored wood chew block that is made for birds from foster and smith online. It is very long and wide and lasts for forever. Great for a chin chew toy at a reasonable price!

Back