Birch wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelley

I have a weeping birch tree but I am finding conflicting info on whether it is safe or not??????
Has anyone used it and did your chins like it?

When in doubt, let it be.

In other words - we don't know, so don't use it. :D

Also, just to make sure you know, you can not just give a chinchilla wood. You have to trim a tree at the right time and then scrub, boil and bake the wood to make sure it is safe and germ/parasite/insect/gross free.

I've used birch - never had a problem with it. The chins destroyed it, just like any other wood.

When in doubt, let it be.

In other words - we don't know, so don't use it. :D

Also, just to make sure you know, you can not just give a chinchilla wood. You have to trim a tree at the right time and then scrub, boil and bake the wood to make sure it is safe and germ/parasite/insect/gross free.

I am aware of preparing the wood and have done apple & willow.

From the safewoods website, they say that birch is safe if you stick to white, grey, broadleaf, silver, or common birch. Avoid black, cherry, mahongany, and sweet birch.

I've deceided to not use birch and just did a batch of dog wood.
I went and bought a apple tree for the girls because they really like the apple twigs. So sometime this week we'll get it planted :thumbsup:

Back