Bigger poops?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha

I have noticed over the past day or two that one of my chins, Houdini has had a change in his poops. Normally his look the same as all my other chins, but now they are bigger. I have not changed anything that I can think of, he eats Mazuri pellets just like the others and gets fresh Timothy hay. The only thing I have noticed with him is that he has been drinking a bit more lately, and has been gobbling his hay (the hay gobbling isn't totally abnormal for him, he goes through phases I think). The poops are shaped normally and don't appear wet or anything, they are just bigger than usual. Is this bad?

Ever since I lost my chin Zelda last week, I've been on edge about the rest of my chinnies. Checking everything even more than usual and making sure everyone is extra happy and safe. Maybe I am just over thinking these giant poops? lol What do you guys think? Sound off!

My chins poop fluctuates in size too, I don't think it's anything bad...different sizes could relate to different amounts of food intake! Gizmo is a lot older than my 1 year old, so it;s obvious to tell differences in poo size! but yeah, I wouldn't be worried :)

Thank you for putting my mind at ease! :) Like I had said, I've been watching everyone extra closely since Zelda passed. Everything happened so fast with her, so when I saw a change in Houdini I was thinking "uh oh, whats this??". I feel better now though, thank you!!

Pigging out on hay is giving him more fiber which makes the poop bigger and more perfectly natural and not a problem at all.

Yup, I completely agree with everyone else. Especially Cuddlebug...my hay lover chinchilla Toby has some pretty big poops, where my pellet lover chin Tristan has normal sized (not as big) poops.

Yep. Cuddlebug is right. My Scotty eats nonstop and his poops are bigger than his more pellet and apple stick focused brother, James. :)

Thank you for all of the replies! I feel better now, glad to know that some fluctuations in chinchillas' health/behavior doesn't always mean something is wrong!

I dunno, when my chins had big poos, they had a more grainy texture on the outside too. Turns out they had giardia. I'd look at giardia symptoms and make sure it's not that...

Back