Big dilemma, one chin or pair?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyshadow

Hello, we have reserved our first chinchilla, a violet girl from a breeder, ready in a few weeks. I have done so much research that my head is now spinning!!!!
My biggest dilemma is whether to get just one chinchilla or have a pair, so many pro's and con's to weigh it up easily. I know chinchillas are very social animals who prefer company ( who doesn't?? ) to cuddle and play etc. and will probably be less stressed with a cage buddy and companion, but worry that eventually the inevitable will happen where one will pass away leaving the other alone. Hate the thought of this, but not sure whether it is a valid reason to keep a chinchilla alone all its life? Are female chins happy on their own? also worry about having to keep an eye on two little critters when let out and playing outside of their cage. Have a lot of time to devote to a chinchilla and a cage big enough to accomodate at least 2. but would love a strong bond with one but don't know if that is selfish?? PLEASE HELP... i need all your views and expertise.
Do a pair of females spray? choose a female as my daughter doesn't like the idea of removing hair rings from a males penis.
I know about introduction of chins and if getting two would get two at the same time ( one more female available at the breeders and she would introduce them and pair before we collected them to see if compatible, both will be 14 wks old but different litters ) is having a pair more effort/time than having one??
Hoping someone can put me straight and help me decide what is the best thing to do.
Thanks Tracey:)

If you have the money and the cage space, I always like to see chins in pairs. They love to cuddle and lay all over each other. But, something to keep in mind, you always have to have a spare cage. Some chins can get along their whole lives with no problems, and other chins will get along for years and years and suddenly turn on each other. The fights can be ugly, so having that extra cage handy can save a life.

Not all females spray, some do. I can't answer that for you because I haven't seen the chins you are getting. It will also depend on age. Younger females generally don't, but might when they get older. Some older females never spray. I think out of all the chins I have here, I have two that will spray, and one only when she has babies. It's a crapshoot, but nothing that would deter me from a pair of female chins if I really liked them. BTW, hair ring checks really aren't that big of a deal and don't need to be done every five minutes. I check for a hair ring if I see a male who is overly concerned with his penis. It just may mean one is too tight or too big for him to get off. Other than that, they handle that themselves.

Bonding wise - eh - you can bond with one out of two, two out of two, or none out of two. Again, that's dependent on the chin. Chins are independent, noncuddly creatures. If you're expecting a bond like with a cat or a dog, you're probably going to be disappointed. I always tell prospective owners to think of them like chinavision. Lots of fun to watch, but not so much on the cuddling. If you then end up with a chin who doesn't mind being held, bonus!

Back