Best wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullgirl

I just barley bought my first chinchilla, and iv done a few things wrong, but i am working to fix it. I have bought cheap things for now until i get my next pay check, then i was planning on buying a bigger cage and things. I don't know what the best kind of wheel to buy her would be, but right now she has a cheap one from petco just until i can get a new one. What do you guys prefer that is not way pricey, but still a good wheel to use?

I love my Leo Braun wheel, I've had it for over 10 years w/o issue. I don't think they are sold new anywhere anymore but you may find a used one.

Silver Surfers are reasonably priced and decent but seem to get noisy over time. If I have to buy any more, I'll definitely get a Chin Spin. My girls love that thing and it's pretty quiet.

Silver Surfers are not worth the price and are totally noisy. I have dozens of Flying Saucers and LOVE them! They are the quietest I have used, are stable when attached correctly to a good cage, and as the bearings wear down, they can be replaced, unlike Silver Surfers (and those often arrive out of balance). Flying Saucers simply are the best wheel you can currently buy for the money, and they are made in the USA!

Info: http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/index.html

wheel

They are selling copy leo braun wheels on ebay. These are quality wheels. Look at the sellers feedback from other wheel buyers. This wheel will last forever.

They are selling copy leo braun wheels on ebay. These are quality wheels. Look at the sellers feedback from other wheel buyers. This wheel will last forever.

Wow what a coincidence you are spinman and new member advertising a wheel and the person selling the wheel posts right after you, such a small world.

One of my chins loves his flying saucer but I absolutely hate that thing. It's extremely noisy and he tends to use it while the whole house is asleep and all morning. I have not tried the other wheels but hopefully they aren't as noisy. Also, the cage I have is a ferret nation, so I don't know of a great way to install it on there to minimize the noise.

I have Ed Spins, Silver Surfers and the Chin Spins. I love my Ed Spins. I have not used my Chin Spins yet. I am deciding to sell all my Chin Spins.

I need to get one but they are all very pricey. Right now she has a plastic one. and even though i know its not safe, its all i can afford. she doesn't chew on it though. I will have to save up to get one.

For now it would be best to remove it from your cage. Not only is the plastic dangerous for chewing, but it is too small. In order for a chin to run correctly without arching her back in uncomfortable/damaging positions, she needs to have a wheel with at least a 14" diameter.

I know what you mean about the money thing, but there are some other options. Mine doesn't even have a wheel yet, I just make sure to let her out every night to run around. (Even when you do get a wheel, try to continue to let her out often-- wheels are not replacement for playtime)

If you're interested in making your own wheel, this thread discusses it: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21811

This wheel is home-made someone sells, the noise level isn't the best, but it is large enough for a chinchilla to safely run on: http://www.chincessories.com/cageaccessories.htm

And here are some instructions on how to make the above wheel, if that interests you at all: http://www.spoiledchins.net/wheelinstructions.htm

Wow what a coincidence you are spinman and new member advertising a wheel and the person selling the wheel posts right after you, such a small world.

I may be late in this response, but if you are suggesting that I have made two accounts to be able to sell, that would not be possible, these forums check your IPs and you can get banned for having multiple accounts. As far as the person that posted before me that is a coincidence for sure. Also the Leo Braun wheels are not all made by that supplier, we actually have ours made by a machine shop, and I believe ours are bigger as well.

Latest posts

Back