Best type of bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z.feidelberg

Zander
I currently have fleece that I put in my Chinchillas cage. My mom keeps on telling me that it smells worse than when we put carefresh in the cage. I was told that carefresh could be dangerous so that is why I switched to the fleece. I was wondering if maybe I should ditch the fleece and switch to aspen or kiln-dried pine?

As long as you change out the fleece a few times a week it should not smell. I personally use pine. I have a chin that likes to pee on her fleece while holding onto her litter pan. This would be why I ditched the fleece. Pine smells good and it is less expensive than carefresh.

We use fleece in 2 cages, and kiln-dried pine in 3. Honestly, I would use the pine in all of them if I could. The two we use fleece in do not have good trays, so the bedding does not stay in it. I personally like the smell of the kiln dried pine.

I'm all for the kiln dried pine. I think it does the best at odor control with chins.

I much prefer the kiln-dried pine too. I can't stand the smell of pee on fleece liners.

I've been using the carefresh bedding for my two Chins since we adopted them (about a year ago) and haven't had problems. Is there supposed to be something wrong with it? Or is it just a price issue? I tend to like it because it has good oder control. Also, how can you tell if the pine is KD? I haven't found any that seems to specifically advertise this. If the pine is just as good and costs less, I may consider switching.

I've been using the carefresh bedding for my two Chins since we adopted them (about a year ago) and haven't had problems. Is there supposed to be something wrong with it? Or is it just a price issue? I tend to like it because it has good oder control. Also, how can you tell if the pine is KD? I haven't found any that seems to specifically advertise this. If the pine is just as good and costs less, I may consider switching.
Carefresh is fine to use. If it is working for you, then I'd stay with it.

I use no bedding except for pine shavings in the potty boxes which I dump every night. All the flat surfaces in my cages are tile and are swept and wiped daily.

Did you prepare the fleece correctly?
I had the same problem, until I found a post on a guinea pig forum that put me in the right direction:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

I think there are some other users on the forum who are happy fleece users.

I do vacuum my little Mo's cage every other day or so, and I change the fleece and the puppy pad twice a week (incredibly quick process). Admittedly, it smells a little on day 3 (which is when i'll usually change), but I'm still experimenting with different types of fleece and better washing methods.

I dont think I would recommend puppy pads in a chinchilla cage, but that is just me. I have 4 FN's all fleece and I dont really have any smell. I change the liners 2 times a week and shake them off almost every day.

I use aspen in my cages, i love the smell, I just recently found a giant bag of kiln dried pine and find it smells good too and its cheaper, needless to say Im switching them over!

I think the issue with carefresh is that the chins eat it and might get impacted from it.

Definitely kiln dried pine. The pine that smells good i think someone said that it's bad for the chin's cuz it starts smelling really bad mixed with the chin pee. EWWW>...

Latest posts

Back