best method of attaching poop guards to shelf... is glue enough?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmitchell

So I'm about to begin building the shelving for our ferret nation 142 cage. And was wondering how everyone else attatches the side guards to the actual shelf. My plan is to use kd pine 1 by 2s on top of the shelf which will be made from my 1x8 board. I know elmers wood glue is chin safe, but will it be enough to hold up over time? I'd think Wood dowel pins and wood glue would be complete over kill, right? I just don't want the edging to fall off after a few months.

Glue should be enough. There shouldn't be a lot of torque on it to make the glue separate, so it should hold.

I use allegedly non-toxic Gorilla Glue and mine have lasted for 3 years without coming off, but I clamp them while they dry. I wouldn't bother with dowels personally, that is quite a lot of work for something that is going to get chewed down!

I use the wood glue to glue edging on my shelves, and the only time they fail is when my chin completely chews them OFF! Lol, otherwise they stay put, its just normal wear and tear that will wear them out...

wood shelves do need sanded down or replaced over time anyway, so the shelf guards won't need to stay put forever. elmers glue should do the trick.

Latest posts

Back