Best laid plans...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
My plan was to move my chinchilla cages from my dining room to upstairs in my guest room.

I had one chinchilla. Hugo. Four years old and every inch an alpha male.

I wanted a second chinchilla. I ended up with a second and third chinchilla, Willoughby and Remy. Willoughby was from a pet store (long story), Remy from a breeder friend of mine. Both are now 7 or 8 months old.

The babies (Willoughby and Remy) bonded quickly. They shared a cage and playtime upstairs in the Guest Room.

Hugo was still happy in his Fortress of Solitude downstairs in the dining room. He had playtime downstairs, but occasionally snuck upstairs to threaten the babies through their cage. :(

So...

To reach my goal of one chinchilla area, I moved Hugo and his cage up to the Guest Room and put him across from the baby's cage.

Even though now I ensure that Hugo does NOT have any physical contact with the babies, the babies are now starting to fight with each other. The fighting started during play time, but now it has extended into their cage. :( At first Willoughby was the aggressor, but now cute little Remy is the instigator, even though he is the smaller of the two babies. No blood has been spilled, just a lot of fur. The babies just can't handle the aggression that is oozing out of Hugo. They want to fight Hugo, but they can't so they fight each other.

So... what do I do? I want to rebuild their bond. : (

I REALLY really wanted everyone to be caged in the same room (with separate play times.) I guess i need to put Hugo back downstairs. :( What do you think?

Thanks for letting me vent. : ( It is so sad to see my babies fighting. :(

Lu

Last edited:
Well, I think the only thing you can do is move Hugo back downstairs and see if that solves the problem. Let us know.

Latest posts

Back