Best hay racks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shieldmaidenjen

Hello everyone!

I was just curious to know what hay racks y'all use and how well they keep things tidy. Yes, I know chins manage to get hay everywhere (mine do anyway) and it's a bit of a pain to pick it off of the fleece liners when I need to wash them.

Tips on that? Suggestions for hay racks?

At the moment I am using wooden hay racks that are built into cute houses made by Twilight Chinchillas, and they have worked better than anything I've used before... I am just curious to know what else is out there.

Thanks!
Jenny and The Colony :)

I use the hay carousel from Whimsy. I had it hanging, but my chin would always pull all the hay out. I just sit it on the floor of his cage now, but he still pulls most of the hay out. I usually scoop most of the loose hay out on a daily basis, since once it's soiled, he doesn't eat it. That helps keep it cleaner for when it's time to change the fleece. When the time comes, I scoop up as much loose hay as I can, then I ball the fleece up with the poop/hay inside and shake it out over a trash bag. Then I take the whole liner outside and shake it out really well before I put it in the wash.

9 times out out of 10 all of my hay holders ended up being just another spot for my chins to sit on and poop into. It was more work trying in to get the poop out of it with a vacuum. I now place a handful of hay on top of a shelf/ledge/house, wherever there is a clean, poop free spot and they enjoy sitting next to the pile of hay and munch away.

Cat75, a member here, made my hay racks. They work really good and I still use them. My chins do like to sit on the edge and eat their hay too. Hay still does get everywhere, but I use bedding on the bottom level of my FN. It's not a big deal to me. I don't know if you can do anything about that! Your hay racks are probably the best thing you can get. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;) A hay rack isn't a necessity by any means. My tribble likes to pull out all of his hay anyway. lol

Last edited:
I have a hay rack from Twilight and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. The boys are major jerks and still pull all the hay out over night and toss it all over. I usually only fill the hay once a day and around the same time. I leave the stuff on the floor and usually most of it gets eaten. One of my boys is digging through a pile of hay on his floor as I type this. I scoop out the rest before I put more in everyday. On days that we change the liners I grab out as much as I can, I wear dish washing rubber gloves so I don't get stabbed by the hay. Then I shake the liners into the garbage bag and then take them outside and shake them into the compost. If my fiance is around we'll sometimes use the shop vac to clean them off, but we each have to stand on the corners or they get sucked right up the hose.

Twilight chinchillas has great holders too.

Now that I think of it, there was a member here (Gabby88) that creates custom wooden houses and other things. She created a custom hay rack idea and sells them on her FB site. I have never tried them, but might be something to look into. She really does beautiful work!

https://www.facebook.com/HeathersWoodCandy

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, there was a member here (Gabby88) that creates custom wooden houses and other things. She created a custom hay rack idea and sells them on her FB site. I have never tried them, but might be something to look into. She really does beautiful work!

https://www.facebook.com/HeathersWoodCandy

Wow! I had no idea...seems like we have a lot of talented people here on CnH. Her's look great too.

I use old tissue boxes. I just pull all the plastic out from around the opening and pack it with hay. By the time theyve destroyed it, my runny nose has usually emptied another box just in time to swap it out.

Latest posts

Back