Best Gender for Cage Mate?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
No, I'm not ready to go there yet, but I'm curious if I were to make that step in the future.

Since Handbag is neutered, what type of cage mate would I look for? A male? A female? or does it matter?

I'm curious if being neutered adds anything more or less into the mix in regards to gender for a potential cage mate.

Annie

It doesn't really matter for chins. The only thing neutering appears to remove from males is their ability to reproduce. They still exhibit the same behaviors as unaltered males. It depends on your preference for gender. He won't get along better with a female instead of a male or vice versa.

Is there a way to be absolutely sure a chin was neutered? I had someone contact me a couple weeks ago who adopted a chin from a shelter up here. This shelter neuters/spays every animal they adopt out, but they normally don't get chins, rodents, etc. However, they labeled the chin as neutered anyway.

She put him with her existing female last November, and woke up a couple weeks ago to babies.

Last edited:
I think Stack has a good point Annie--since there is no way to tell for sure I would go with another boy--Wallet perhaps.

I remember Annie having proof (surgery papers, I believe) of Handbag's neuter procedure. If so, I second the girlfriend idea. ;))

ahahah...you gals are funny. Good info too!

I do have the paperwork from the humane society certifying he was neutered and the doctor's signature.

We'll see down the line. Thank you!

The idea of a girlfriend is very cute. But I like boys too. Either way, it would have to be Handbag and --Satchel, Wallet, Fannypack, Duffel--like everyone suggested, or Coach, LV (Louis Vuitton), Burberry... the options are endless!

The idea of a girlfriend is very cute. But I like boys too. Either way, it would have to be Handbag and --Satchel, Wallet, Fannypack, Duffel--like everyone suggested, or Coach, LV (Louis Vuitton), Burberry... the options are endless!

Oooh! can you imagine a little beige chin named Burberry!!! Swoon! :heart3:

I think it's up to the individual chin...but I agree it'd be adorable for him to have a GF! :)

ahahah...you gals are funny. Good info too!

I do have the paperwork from the humane society certifying he was neutered and the doctor's signature.

We'll see down the line. Thank you!
I would bet money that Handbag is neutered. The San Diego Humane Society is anal about neutering/spaying (only dogs and cats are spayed) and chipping every animal that gets adopted through them.

Back