Best chinchilla food brand?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't one "best" brand. Good feeds include Oxbow, Tradition, Mazuri, and some rabbit brands such as Manna Pro Sho.

I only have experience with oxbow, but my chin loves it and is doing really well on it, so I think we'll stick with it. :)

Sherwood Pet Health has a new Chin formula!

I have been researching pellets for my recently adopted Chin Simon. I have had rats for many years and stopped buying soy pellets for them long ago. Soy in rats has been strongly linked to tumor growth so I was searching for an organic style of food without soy and GMO corn and quickly found that seemed impossible to come by. A veterinarian recommended I look at Sherwood Pet Health and I was really impressed with the quality of the diet and how fresh it is! They are only listing rabbit pellets but if you place an order and request it they have a tweaked version of their food blended for Chins. I'm sure it would be more expensive than the soy/grain pellets many of you are buying but if it saves me a trip to the vet I come out ahead. The last time I took a rat to the vet it was $100 for a quick office visit!

Off topic here...Does anyone ever leave a night light on for their Chins? I feel bad turning the lights out at night when I know he will be up and about.

I'm a fan of Oxbow, but have heard equally great reviews about Mazuri! I was using the brand made by the undisclosed pet store that sold me Sam for the reasons one would think, until I started reading about how bad all the treats in that mix are for them to be eating daily. I mixed in the Oxbow pellets and picked out all the treats for a few weeks just to make sure Sam didn't get sick form the change.
He was a total brat about the boring pellet-only mix, of course! He would push his ceramic bowl across the first level to above wherever his wooden sleep house was (he moves it, but I moved it to try to stop this nonsense) and then push it off so it knocked into the house on the way down in the middle of the night almost every night for a week or two in protest. But he finally got over it and loves it now!

Korie and Sam

Back