Benefit of Second Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
srlmapon, when you get the other chinnie make sure its a real baby like my abby was..i cant remember exactly how many weeks she was but i got her from a breeder.. i know she was under 3 months i think..i cant remember it was so long ago.. anyway my pebbles seemed to take on a taking care parenting role to her.. not saying that will be the case with you, but who can resist a little tiny meatball bouncing around!

definately because by the time i introduced them she was about 3 1/2 months or so.. i tryed to introduce pebbles once to a much older chinchilla a few months before i got abby and she was instantly very aggressive wanting to bite her and i had to seperate instantly.. but when she seen abby who was clearly a tiny baby she instantly fell in love and this was only but a few months later after the older one i tryed to introduce her too.. i think its human nature who can resist a baby and i notice the baby chinchillas seem like all they want to do is play and eat their hay and chew not looking to fight.. and trust me abby is one boss!.. i feel its less chance to hurt it if its a baby but probably not the case for all.

i kept their cages in the same room. pebbles and abby as soon as i put their cages next to each other fell in love but i wasnt sure it would be that way in the same cage together or even at playtime. Abby would make looking for friend noises ALL night to pebbles and pebbles would try to escape the bars of course not able to and frantic to get out and see abby and they would talk all night to each other from the first few minutes i put their cages in the same room, the other chinchilla before i got abby i tryed to introduce pebbles too was a different story.. no talking or anything and when i tryed for playtime pebbles went for her instantly trying to attack her.. the chinchilla was much older probably older than 5 or 6 at the time. So i think very much pebbles would have only accepted a baby. I also did the introductions at playtime in a small bathroom.

We are going to adopt Theodora tomorrow afternoon. She is 1 1/2 and gave birth to twin boys this past summer. By all accounts, she is sweet and very easy going. I am just hoping that my Lilly is the same way with her.

I will keep you updated as I am sure that I will have a bunch of questions for you all in the near future. :)

hello everyone! I recently adopt a Beige male chin named Bruno from a friend (we think he is 4) and i got him a Ferret Nation 182 with a Chin Spin and lots of perches and cuddle toys. I love him and i want him to be happy and safe, so i had decided against getting a second Chin, just in case they fight and don't want to be friends. BUT, tonight i went to Petsmart to buy some chin food and hay and there was a small standard grey chin in a tank SO SMALL it couldnt even bounce around. There was no wheel and just a PLASTIC hidey house, covered in bite marks of course. UGH. The little Chin was making eye contact with me and it seriously took all my willpower to leave it there in those sucky living conditions. It seems like it is SO hard to introduce chins and get them to be friends, would you guys say that Bruno is my priority and he should have his whole Ferret Nation? or should i get another Chin spin, split the cage in half and rescue little Petsmart buddy? i cant stop thinking about the fuzzy little buddy =(

Meet Theadora (Dorie or Thea). She's a firecracker! Spunky and full of personality! I love her already! When I went to meet her and bring her home, I met her kits. The female was a violet. And the male was at least a carrier because he had light fur, but nit as light as his sister. The owners had no idea how special the kits are.
Lilly is still asleep so she hasn't realized she has a neighbor yet. Can't wait to see that little drama! I'll keep you posted as it unfolds!
-from Tapatalk mobile

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351365029935.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351365029935.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351365058877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351365058877.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 27
Well, after 2 weeks of having Buddha and Moose's cages side by side, we were able to completely clean out Buddha's Critter Nation with a mixture of vinegar and water. Then we took both of the boys and put them in the cage at the same time, side by side. They have not fought yet! There has been some mounting. "Establishing of dominance" :p but so far, so good! I really hope things stay this way!

This is all good news. I pick up my new baby this Sunday. I am stoked and I gotta be honest, a lot nervous. I love Solar. He comes first. However, it's like having children when deciding to get two Sheeshbop (in my opinion), you have to be able to divide everything not just the cage. :) Attention, cleaning. Everything. Be prepared for them not getting along. I see your post was from awhile ago, what did you decide? I am curious how your situation is going.. I am happy when they end up getting along. My new baby is 8 weeks old and will be kept separated for at least 30 days. Then the next step. Wish me luck please.

Best of luck!

I am wondering if it would be ok to let down the ladder in our critter nation to let them explore or if I'm asking for a "cage match" so to speak. Any experience with the upstairs/downstairs thing? I really would love to see them bond. But I am scared to death to get a bad result and have one of my babies physically injured or traumatized.

PS I read on here about clipping whiskers to help with dominance, etc. Dori's whiskers were shortened when we got her. I assumed her kits had chewed on them. Her previous owners wouldn't have done it. Any thoughts?

Letting a new comer into a chin's cage is asking for trouble. They can be extremely territorial. If you're going to put them in a cage together, it needs to be cleaned and rearranged so they don't recognize it as theirs.

Frost, how are things going with your new Chin? hopefully things are good! I haven't gotten a second Chin, just because i'm not sure i can make the commitment to do 2 separate playtimes if they don't get along, plus all the extra poops! haha. Bruno is great, his cage is in my bedroom now so we hang out all the time, and he doesn't seem to mind me kissing him on the head constantly. His Chin Spin sounds like a train running through my room in the middle of the night, but at least he's getting my money's worth.

I was just about to post the exact same thing! Glad I'm not the only one in this situation! :)

We got our second as a companion for our first. As it turns out the first is very territorial and I'm not sure I trust her with anyone else.

But the big bonus is the second is awesome. We love her just as much as the first one. And more than anything it's fascinating to see how different/same they are.

It's nice to hear that even though it's not going great making them be friends that you are still enjoying having the two babies. I honestly get so much happiness from my lil guy i think i could put in the effort for another one, i just see him snuggle his stuffed toy and think AW you could snuggle another Chin and i might actually explode from the cuteness!

Latest posts

Back