Benefit of Second Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost11

What is the benefit of getting a second Chinchilla as a pet? (Not breeding or showing).

I have read the forum pretty thoroughly (I think) and it seems like a lot of forum members advise against getting a second one if you only have one. Seeing that it's hard to buddy two of them up, etc.

So, I am curious why some people end up with 5 or 12 or even 30 something besides the fact that they're addicting. :rofl:

Probably since people want different colors and/or personalities. When I first got into chins, I really really wanted one that was like a lap dog and would like to be cuddled. Its so hard to predict chins' behaviors though and the first couple chins I had were not like that at all.

I like the idea of two chins. Someone to keep them company and to play with when I'm not around. But it depends on the chinchilla. Some chins like to be alone.

I would think those would advise against a second is usually because ppl don't have the means to care for two separately housed chins if things don't work out. Because if they don't get along, obviously they each need their own cage and space on a permanent basis. Plus you need the resources and time for proper introductions with the two chins.

And of course their is the always lovely fact that if you put a male and a female together (even just as companions) ... they will have kits.

I like the idea of two chins. Someone to keep them company and to play with when I'm not around.

I have the same sentiment. I like the idea of them having a companion when I'm not around. There are pros and cons.

Pros: CHIN NOISES! My boys got really talkative when they paired up. Some of the noises are just adorable.
Playtime: They have someone to sleep with and keep warm and generally socialize

Cons: You need a bigger cage for sure. Plus, they run the risk that the two won't get along. Two chins definitely make more mess than one. With one chin in a double level cage you'd barely know I had a pet. Two chins in a ferret nation makes it much more obvious. You're chins personality may change a little too, depending on the individual. I thought mine was much less needy and cuddly when he got a friend. Which is a good thing, because he's getting the stimulation and enrichment he needs when I'm not there. But a tiny bit sad too.

Sovay,
This is one of my greatest fears. To lose the affection of my only Chinchilla. Or to risk him not getting along with the other Chinchilla male I would choose for him. I stay at home with him and spend a lot of time with him but there are days that I wonder if he could benefit from having a little friend with him. I would also like to have a beige one or a ebony one. I am faced with this right now, I have the cage and accessories and am set up for another one. I am purchasing extras of everything for another Chinchilla (just in case). But, I haven't made up my mind. I have spoken to 2 different breeders and am prepared for the cost I just can't make up my mind. I should also mention I have the time and energy for another one. :D

I was going through the same thing last week! I was debating whether to get s second chinchilla or not. And guess what? I did :) He is very cute, but still pretty shy around us. I hope he will start warming up more. Anyways, I have yet to introduce them, it's still too soon. It would kinda break my heart if they don't get along, so I really hope that they do! If you'd like, I can let you know how it goes with them in a few weeks :)

SeeleyAnne,
Please do.. :) What's the worse that can happen? You have 2 beautiful Chinchillas in separate cages that you get to love and cuddle with. :)

SeeleyAnne,
Please do.. :) What's the worse that can happen? You have 2 beautiful Chinchillas in separate cages that you get to love and cuddle with. :)

True, I just want Buddha to have a friend! :) I've read a couple little articles on chin introducing, but if anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate them!

I got mine in pairs, As mentioned above, pairs can keep each others company when I'm not around, and they have someone to talk to and cuddle.
But a disadvantage would be that they could turn against each other one day and get injured. But both my pairs were paired up at a young age, (4-5months), so it was easier for them to get along with each other.
And yes, chins are addicting, I got for first 2, 2 boys about 7yrs ago, thru the yrs, I kept holding on not to get anymore.
But my devil husband persuaded me into getting 2 more, with the reason :" 2 chins and 4 chins doesn't make a difference to the electric bill, you might as well get another 2, more worth the air con money.
Plus there was a rare chance that one of the hobby breeders we know imported some quality chins from chinchilla.com, I really couldn't resist, although I will never consider breeding, I really wanted a chance to own quality chins.
So that was it, now I have 2 girls and 2 boys.
And a lot of work and room service for them guys.

Sovay,
This is one of my greatest fears. To lose the affection of my only Chinchilla.

Of all the possible fears, that should be at the bottom of the list. And if it makes you feel any better, my oldest male (who spent a long time alone) is now paired up with his son. And he is the most friendliest chin out of all 5 of mine. Incredibly personal.

Its their relationship with each other that is in question. Plus the money and time and resources. Id suggest reading some of the introduction threads in here. Get you more of an idea of what you'd have to do if you decided to get a second.

I guess i just got really lucky with my two girls. Pebbles was my first and was a little over a year old when i got her a baby chinchilla from a breeder and named her abby.. they have been together over 8 years now and made friends instantly as soon as i introduced them and love each other very much! Pebbles does still have a somewhat role of being her stepmommy still.. always checking on abby to see if shes ok and what shes doing, as abby was a baby when i got her and introduced her to pebbles and she use to make noises to her and then theyd kiss and cuddle.. aww so sweet but the point of writing this was to say pebbles was very lonenly no matter how much i played with her multiple times a day and had contact with her.. which was quite alot.. she seemed depressed like she wanted a friend of her own kind.. after getting her abby she never was seen that way again!

We tried introducing our boys through the cage within a cage method. Clark got a toe nipped and it was bleeding a little so we separated them and haven't tried again since. I'm not sure if it was out of aggression or because Koopa was in a bite everything stage but it was still disappointing. We now have each in one half of a ferret nation. Each gets his own playtime and it's definitely more work. I love having two but wish they were together. Definitely a risk you take when you get a second one! I love all the stories about the ones that get along but wanted to give the flip side of the coin because in our case, they didn't.

Thank you Koopashark. I am considering the flip side too. How close do the cages need to be? I am sorry about your buddies not getting along.

Thank you Koopashark. I am considering the flip side too. How close do the cages need to be? I am sorry about your buddies not getting along.

If your at that part of an introduction, i would say close enough that they can see and smell each others presence. But far enough away that if both are clawing through the bars, they can not reach other. If things go bad, and they are to close, they can still hurt another through the bars if they can reach.

I'm in the same boat right now. I worry that Lilly is lonely. I can't say whether she has ever had a companion or not. She's four yrs old and I adopted her this past summer. We know almost nothing about her past. Only that she was not well cared for or fed the right food.

She's all alone all night and I really want to give her a friend. I found a sweet little female standard gray that we are going to try to adopt. I still have Lilly's first cage and her first bowl, manger, etc. so Theodora (how cute is that name?) will have her own cage until we can be sure they are ok to live together.

I'm concerned what to do if Lilly is not happy with her new friend, though.

Like the other's said you have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Or so I have gotten from the post. :/ I have stressed about this from day one. I am still torn about what to do. I guess because I want another one, I have the setup, I don't mind the extra pick up and clean up, I will probably get a second one. But, this of course is just me. I am willing to take this chance.

Me too. My husband thinks I'm insane but, I just love the little devils. I can clean two cages instead of one. Not a big deal.

-from Tapatalk mobile

Back