Bell Collar

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I know that breeding collars are OK, so I was wondering if it would be OK to use bell collars (the ones that would fit ferrets or small puppies/kittens) for chinchillas during play time so that I could always hear where they were. No leash would be attached, it would just be to attach a bell to them.

Chins wouldn't wear a collar. They would take it off or run the risk of getting stuck and possibly strangling themselves. Breeding collars are only used in runs and those chins do not get play times. I wouldn't advise it.

With how fickle chins are, I bet they would hate being contained by that. I imagine it would be like putting a collar on a kitten or puppy for the first time while, although they hate it, they would get used to it. However I don't think that chins would get used to it. I think the chins skeletal system is a much more fragile thing and I would hate to risk them running and jumping, getting snagged and instant neck breakage. That's what comes to mind when I think about that :\
Probably easiest to just watch them in their play area and read a book while they run around or something

Last edited:
Never put a collar or leash on a chin. Between the chance of them choking, getting caught on something and possibly breaking their neck/back, and the anxiety of it being caught on anything, it's not worth the risk. It can be extremely dangerous and there is no reason for the collars.

Back