being shy and scared>??? not able to pet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rocknroo

we have had out chins for about 1 year NOW W00T,

but with 1 of our chins is always scared but more jumpy like the slighest noice or movment from us makes him run

we able to pet him for a short time but then runs away, is it because he doesn't want to be petted?(SP) or is it something else?

Chins in general don't like to be "pet". They would much rather be running around then being rubbed against with hot sticky hands, it's uncomfortable to them. Even though most don't like to be pet, most do enjoy a scritch under the chin or behind the ears, but that's the extent of most chins. I have one chins that enjoys a full body rub, and one that loves a good neck massage, lol! Depends on the chin.

i have two chins both for a year and a little more, one loves his neck massages and my other hates them....she'll run away or she'll push me away (literally put her little paws on my hand and push)...at most is probably a love bite....

thanks i was just worried i was a bad owner :( but i'm good now :)

we have had out chins for about 1 year NOW W00T,

but with 1 of our chins is always scared but more jumpy like the slighest noice or movment from us makes him run

we able to pet him for a short time but then runs away, is it because he doesn't want to be petted?(SP) or is it something else?

No you are not a bad owner!! Some chinchillas are just like that.
I have one male who took him almost two years to get to the point where we was comfortable taking a treat from his previous owners hand.

We was doing great with me! Took him a few years to adjust but the other day I took him to the vet and he has decided that he hates me now :( Wont take a treat from me, wont even let me walk up to his cage without giving me an angry chirp.

LOL - some chinnies have their own personalities just like people.

None of my chins like full body pets. Usually a scritch under the chin or behind the ear makes them happy. If they are not in the mood for scritches they will push my hand away with their paw.

When I first got my chin, who was 3 years old, she didn't want to be near me at all. She was settling into her new environment and I just had to be patient and wait for her to come to me. It took a couple of months but she has now become very lovable and loves to be scritched and pet and loves to sit on me and under my legs. She still does not like to be picked up and probably will never be comfortable with that. But if your chins are new, it may just take some time for them to warm up to you.

Our first girl, Carmen, LOVES full body pets - they're pretty much what she lives for!
Our other two girls, Minnie and Trousers, not so much into being petted. They will occasionally tolerate chin scritches, but for the most part they are "look at me, give me treats, then go away"-type chinnies. We haven't had them that long, so they might turn around, but from everything I've read some just don't like to be touched... don't worry, you're not a bad chinparent!! ;)

My one girl likes being pet as long as you stay away from her whiskers and ears. My other girl is perfectly fine being held and petted while you'll holding her, guess I got lucky with her. She just doesn't want to sit with me, she'd rather run around.

ha it doesn't make you a bad owner:hug2:

I think this is one of the issues with so many chinchillas out there to inexperienced owners (NOT saying anything about you ;))

They are so cute and soft that you want them to want to cuddle and to want to be pet, but they don't and a lot of people don't like that if they think that they will be different...

Good question :thumbsup:

ha it doesn't make you a bad owner:hug2:

I think this is one of the issues with so many chinchillas out there to inexperienced owners (NOT saying anything about you ;))

They are so cute and soft that you want them to want to cuddle and to want to be pet, but they don't and a lot of people don't like that if they think that they will be different...

Good question :thumbsup:

o i will say i'm a experienced owner cuz i never knew this pet existed LOL but the g/f does most of the work so LOL:hilarious:

I'm lucky: I have one that pouts if he doesn't get to nibble on me and sit on my hand every night, and another that likes a 30 second belly rub, but that's it. They're apparently more cuddly than most of the chins I hear about on here. Except for one lucky someone whose name escapes me that dozed off during playtime and woke up to find her chin snuggled up against her while she slept. :)

I have 8 chins and only 1 of them, Leonard, likes scritches! It makes me SO sad. Mick St. John, Wesley and Abigail don't mind being held--Abigail especially loves being held and cuddled. Bobo I can't get out of the cage without getting kacked at, pee'd on and bit--but once she's out the cage she loves snuggles and kisses on her nose. Leonard likes the scritches but if you try to touch his butt he'll bark you're fool head off! Both Bronwyn and Solange are very skittish and shy and GiGi also doesn't really like to be pet or held. Bronwyn loves to give kisses through the bars though as do Mick and Wesley--EVERYONE gives kisses through the bars if you go TREATS! Then I swoop in for kiss before doling out the treats.
I just snuggle with the ones who like it and am complacent to get whatever I can from the rest of my crew!

I've got one that I've had for 5 years and he kacks EVERY TIME i get near his cage. Once he's out running around and playing, he's fine and I can scratch his head and he'll come up and sit on me. I don't know what his problem is. I also have another female that I've had for a year and she won't allow me to pet her or anything. Now she'll let me give her a treat tho. Some of them just have strange personalities. Kinda like some people :)

Yup, chins aren't like dogs who live for pets! Sounds like they like you just fine, if a chin is scared they don't bother with pushing you away, they just run!

I had a chin (Chi Chi) that loved to be held and scratched under neck....she would almost turn her head completely upside down to let you scratch her...at playtime she would jump all over me and sit on my shoulder, leg, head...anywhere she could get...once while I was sleeping my boyfriend put her in the bedroom with me (this room was chinproof at the time) and he left for work..I woke up and she was snuggled up next to me sleeping...None of my other chins are as social as her but a few are showing some promising signs...I miss that little fuzz butt

Paco and Rosalita like to have a 2 second scratch on the nose and then they better get a treat. They run like crazy if you try to pick them up but will settle down once you are holding them

Chiquita is still like a wild animal even though I have had her since she was 7 weeks old and she is now 10 months....she won't even come out of her house for a treat...I just get the pleasure of seeing her pop her head out

Chimi who is caged with Chiquita (these are the only two caged together at the time) is more social and loves to be talked to and sung to....but forget touching her and holding her...she is also a daredevil and will try to launch herself out of her cage whenever the door is opened....I actually have a second lock on the door just in case the door is not latched properly....if you try to hold her she squirms so much that it is next to impossible to hold her

Changa is Chimis brother...he loves to be scratched on top of the head and during play time will run up to me but has yet to get the courage to jump on me...

Chuey (chimi and chang's cousin) is the biggest of all my chins...he is the most laid back...lets me pick him up...likes to be held for a short time...he is showing a lot of signs of being as social as Chi Chi was...he is he is almost 9 months old and I think in time will be just happy sitting on my lap...about a month ago he some how got a scratch on his eyelid..not sure how it happened but I got home from work and his eyelid was almost sealed shut...had to pry it back open and got meds from the vet to treat him...the night we opened his eye back up I put a cool compress on it and he settled right down...he never fought me on getting his meds and would let me mess with his eye...he knew I was trying to help him and it let us bond..he has been a much calmer chin since that night and if someone else is holding him while I am near he watches me and then tries to hop over to me

Pedro is the next friendliest chin I have....loves to be pet and held but at playtime runs the hardest to get away from me...also is a "ladies man" and will try to get to the girls cages...lol

Dale is not as friendly in his cage but when out at playtime will jump up and down on my leg...I can tell he is watching me closely when he does it and if I move he takes off...I have only had him for a couple of months...he is a rescue and the person that had him before didn't even have a cage for him...just let him run around a room that was blocked off by baby gates....needless to say he tries to get out whenever you open his cage

Heidi is the B**** of all my chins...we call her the super soaker because she sprays everything...hopefully this will end soon but I just let her watch what I am doing and talk to her I don't even try to touch her

and last is Sangria...she came from the Empress show...a very beautiful violet that when in the cage will hide in her house or in her hammock until the hay comes out..then she popcorns a few times...we do hold her every night for a short time and she still squirms some when I hold her but loves my boyfriend...will sit still for him and let him pet her....not fair since he doesn't feed them, give them treats or change their cages....lol

Latest posts

Back