behavior change regarding playtime and me

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
So Cloud is almost 2. And he used to adore playtime. Every time I opened the cage door he was trying to get out, every time I was near his cage he'd beg. I wanted him to get used to being held so I trained him to get on my arm to get out of the cage. Or thought I did. Now he's different. He won't jump on my arm anymore at all, he doesn't run to the cage door or beg for playtime. And he doesn't like my hands anymore. Well not that they ever thrilled him but he used to be tolerant of being petted in his cage, now not so much. I had two ideas why this could be, one was that a bit ago playtime became more infrequent, and I don't know if I totally untrained him. The other, I was reading threads on puberty because he definitely went through it, but there's not so much about what happens after. Could his behavior change come from puberty ending and adulthood setting in? Or did I screw him up? Any thoughts?

It could be something as simple as a smell he maybe didn't like on your hands. Go back to the beginning, and teach your chin that hands equal good things. Work with patience, and alow time and all should work out ok.

Do you play with him at a certain time of the day? or did that change as well? Dominic gets all excited and wants to be let out around midnight and since I don't have to wake up early the next morning we are able to do playtime late at nigh, but he doesn't like it so much if I do it earlier in the evening, he barely runs or jumps and doesn't seem as excited or happy like he is during late nigh playtime

It has recently changed actually. They were used to playtime between 12 and 2 am but my boyfriend moved in temporarily and he goes to bed early. Since they are in my bedroom, no more late play times for a while. We are moving soon though to a house where they will have their own room. To be honest Elena hasn't been as active at playtime either. Although she does go out. When playtime goes back to night time do you think they will go back to wanting to come out?

Can you try just one night to do playtime at night like before? and see if they go back to being more active, then you'll know. Maybe they are a bit stressed about the changes (boyfriend)? it takes a while for them to get used to someone, maybe they are still getting used to him and are a bit reserved?

I did actually get to let them out at night and it took 45mins but I did get cloud to climb on my arm to come out. They were both more active too. I guess the schedule change affected them more than I thought. Also I guess my boyfriend probably is an adjustment for them, they are used to quiet days, and he now plays video games in my room which was probably pretty startling to them. I really want to get them in their new room so they can start getting used to it, but the house isn't ready. It's just good to know Cloud's not broken, just put off and a little de-trained. Once the changes are all done and they get settled in, I'm sure they'll be back to their little selves.

Latest posts

Back