Begging for wood ;-)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

Feeling so proud of myself today! A few months ago I had attended a baby shower for my niece at the home of some friends of hers. While there I saw that they had a nice size orchard. I stopped there this morning, knocked on their door and "begged" for branches from their trees. Together the husband and I pruned about 4 of their peartrees. The wood is absolutely gorgeous, nice and straight, very clean and never been sprayed. I came away with the back of my suv full of branches and we had barely even touched all their trees. When I looked at the huge apple tree in their front yard all I could hear was kaching kaching because it was LOADED with thousands of nice new,s straight branches all waiting to be pruned.
Clearly it pays to swallow your pride and go begging at times.

sounds like a good time. Iv'e thought about doing stuff like that. But i know enough to know that i dont know much about determining safe ones from unsafe ones. (I also have no means to clean and prepere them properly)

Im sure your chins will enjoy it tho!

Definately jealous!!! All the trees around me have been sprayed so no luck for me :( the only good thing for me is that I don't have to process it myself!

I am also jealous. I live in SoCal and we have no trees. :p I grew up in Pittsburgh where there are trees everywhere.

Sounds great, Caroline! I "liked" your chinniechews page on facebook. Your wood looks amazing and I'm gonna buy some from you soon. I just need to get some extra $$$ ;)

My chins go crazy for wood that has the "wrinkles" on it. Yours has that and so does Stacey's.. Is that from dehydrating the wood instead of baking?

I have really been blessed with finding people who have gorgeous trees that have not been sprayed. Just found another one yesterday. Anyhow back to cutting wood, I have been scrubbing all morning.

I am not sure about the wrinkles. I tried baking and lost a lot of wood because it would get to dark. Now I boil the wood to kill all the micoorganisms and then dehydrate it to lock in the nutrients that are left. Baking tends to kill off more of the nutrients.

I can attest that Carolines sticks are awesome and my girls love it. I just received like 8 lbs from her. Good stuff!

I can attest that Carolines sticks are awesome and my girls love it. I just received like 8 lbs from her. Good stuff!

Thankyou so very much for the kind words. I try to do my best to provide the best possible for your chins.

Don't know my own strength

So I needed a new primer with a telescopic handle and so I go to the Orange store to buy myself one. They had several types, all made by a company that has a good reputation for quality blades, the company that makes the scissors that we all were told to get in elementary school
The second time I was using it I was having difficulty cutting with them. So anyhow as I was trying to finish up my job I got to the very last branch, one that had been difficult to cut. As I was pulling on the handle I heard a snap, looked and realized that the blade on this brand new primer that I had only used truce, the one with the good reputation, had snapped clean off. I guess I don't know my own strength.

Oh and btw, I have a huge bin of Apple branches and will have lots of chewstick and twirlie size.

Back