Bedding questions! Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyr1293

Okay, I've heard lots of different things from lots of different people about what bedding is best to use. Everyone was extremely helpful when I first got Kesey about all the misleading from the pet store so I know ya'll can help me out. When I first got Kesey I purchased the Carefresh Pet Bedding (the fluffy stuff that absorbs and expands) because thats what the people at Petsmart said would be best. When I posted about everything I purchased when I got him I quickly learned that this is not the best type of bedding. What are ya'lls opinion on this bedding? I read in a book that the best kind of bedding is the shredded paper or some kind of wood bedding but then it said there were certain kinds of wood bedding to NOT use. So now I'm completely confused! I have a metal grate that covers the bottom of the cage (which I also know is not good for them). I went ahead and kept using the grate and the other bedding just to get rid of it and I purchased some of the crinkled recycled paper bedding today in hopes that I could use it without the metal grade. My other concern is the paper bedding seems so uncomfortable. :( As you can see, I'm highly confused. What bedding should I use that will be comfortable and safe?!
Thanks,
Ashley & Kesey

Attachments

• IMG_6477.jpg
    IMG_6477.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 14
Aspen wood shavings without the grate. In the mean time with the grate you can put some plain brown corrugated cardboard (like the side of a box) over parts of it so the chin has a flat surface to stand on. They'll nibble it a little, so you'll have to replace it until you can take out the grate while keeping the cage secure.

Other options that would require modifying the cage and/or buying something would include using layered fleece liners that you'd wash like towels and other laundry, or laying marble tiles on the bottom of the cage and litter training the chin. Ime, a lot of chins take to litter training well. There are a couple of forum posts about that for which you can search. :)

Good luck with the new fur child!

Thank ya'll! The grate is removable so I fully have intentions of removing it. Im trying the recycled paper bedding but I had a feeling he would start eating it and yep, he sure has! Ive put the grate back in just so he wont eat it. Im about to head to the pet store to buy some aspen shavings. About the fleece, is there a specific kind or can i just head to the fabric shop and buy some fleece fabric? Also what is the cleaning like with the fleece?

We use fleece with bass equipment pans. We have some of the ferret pans for our ferret nation cage and we had them do custom pans for a large bird cage which sit on the grate. We then cover them in fleece and just roll it up every 2-3 days, wipe the loose poops out with a paper towel, and lay down a new piece of fleece.

DSCN1677_zps0cb7dfcb.jpg

DSCN1658_zps492b6e5c.jpg

I have a very similar system with the bass pans in the ferret nation with fleece covers that I just roll up and shake out about once a week. I also have litter dishes that I put the aspen wood shavings in and they work great.

Side note: akane, do you ever have a problem with your chins chewing the PVC pipe? I wanted to get some but I don't have a sewing machine right now to make covers

I know this thread is a couple days old, but to help answer the fleece question, you'll want to get blizzard or anti-pill fleece so it doesn't pill.. or else your chin would probably end up trying to eat that, too, which isn't something you want to happen.

:)

I used to use kiln dried pine, then aspen (it was cheaper where I live) and since getting the new cage, I've been using fleece. If your chin turns out to be a chewer, be prepared to go through alot of fleece (my rats used to destroy a fleece after 2x uses, so they're back on recycled paper pellets)

I used Carefresh for one week and aside from the risks of impaction, it can also get quite dusty and irritate the sinuses.

Whether to use fleece or shavings comes down to personal preference and how your chin reacts to them. I haven't tried tiles so I can't comment on that.

Fleece can just be bought from a local store, just ask for anti-pill stuff! Also it's a good idea to wash it a couple of time before putting it to use as this helps the wicking process to remove moisture from the surface. Don't use fabric softener when washing it as this can reduce the absorbtion qualities

My chins will chew and eat anything. And i mean anything they can. So i stick to aspen shavings. Even when i replace the used litter with new they come running down after im done like i just put a buffet in there cage lol

Latest posts

Back