Bedding and sticks.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I currently have my two boys in their Critter Nation with no bedding, just the plastic pans and three litter pans with aspen shavings in them. They're getting a fleece corner hammock on December 13th, and then a new cage with tile on one level and fleece on the other in January-February. The pans have signs of past chewing, as I am using the cage they came with (I rescued the chins off of Craigslist), but they haven't chewed them at all since I've given them much more stuff to chew on ( two hanging toys, a wooden ledge, wooden house, wooden hay feeder, and four apple sticks daily) and more enrichment. They've been with me for one month now. Should I start scattering the aspen shavings on the pans? Also, sometimes their sticks (mostly the thicker ones) have orangish color on them. Usually on only one side or the end of the stick. Is this normal? I assume it's just from them putting their mouths on the sticks, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
The sticks being a bit orange could be the type of wood, or they could be sitting in/or getting peed on. Their pee is orangish/red.

Using aspen is up to you. It is a whoooole lot messier than fleece liners, but, for me the fleece liners are a lot more hassle because you have to clean them of everything before you wash them. As in most things chin, it's personal preference.

Using aspen is up to you. It is a whoooole lot messier than fleece liners, but, for me the fleece liners are a lot more hassle because you have to clean them of everything before you wash them. As in most things chin, it's personal preference.
I can't get fleece liners at the moment, so my question is if the chins would be fine with just the pans in the CN for a couple months until I can get a better cage and bedding, or if I should use aspen.

Back