Bedbugs and Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabe

I don't know if anyone has dealt with this, but if you have I need your help.
I've just moved into a new apartment and I think it has bedbugs. Now using my common sense I believe I would have to board Chinny while the apt is being treated. So how long would I have to board him? What if anything can I do so the bugs won't affect him? Or will the bugs affect him? This is so frustrating.

I don't have personal experience with this, but one of my best friends had bedbugs in her apartment last year and her two cats were away for 24 hours. It was quite the ordeal. Prior to treatment, all of the furniture had to be moved to the center of each room so they could spray along the walls. A lot of the chemicals got onto the furniture itself, so a team of us went in and wiped down EVERYTHING as we put the apartment back in order.

Unfortunately the first round didn't solve the problem, so they had to treat a 2nd time. Ultimately, it turned out that the bedbug colony was on the underside of their mattress, which was less than 2 years old. She's an OCD clean freak, so now they have a new mattress and a special cover to help prevent against bedbugs.

From what I've read, bedbugs prefer skin to fur and consequently don't pose a threat to pets directly. If I were in your shoes, I would talk to the exterminator to find out if the bedbud treatment is toxic for rodents and ask them for a recommendation on how long you should remove your chin from the environment. If they recommend 24 hours, double it and go for 48. Just make sure you copiously vacuum and wipe down everything before you let him out to play.

Good luck! I'm so sorry you have to go through this!

I don't know if anyone has dealt with this, but if you have I need your help.
I've just moved into a new apartment and I think it has bedbugs. Now using my common sense I believe I would have to board Chinny while the apt is being treated. So how long would I have to board him? What if anything can I do so the bugs won't affect him? Or will the bugs affect him? This is so frustrating.

There are some old threads on here, and if I remember correctly bed bugs can bother chinchillas just like they do to humans. To be safe talk to the person who is going to be treating the apartment. Let him know that you have chinchillas, and ask him how long you'll need to keep them out of the unit. Also ask about how to clean your apartment after treatment.

I was thinking of boarding him for a few days. I am going to put his cage outside while they spray to keep from getting to contaminated and of course clean it thoroughly before I bring him back in. I can't imagine having a colony under my mattress! It's so annoying because I am a clean freak. Guess it doesn't matter sometimes. Thanks for the help.

Back