Because why catch a break.... What is this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

I came home today to find this on my babies tail. I did not notice it yesterday and I'm positive it wasn't there the day before.

He's e/d fine, and his bathroom habits are normal.

Is this worth bringing him to work? Or could he have chewed it himself or snagged it on something. He's not a fur chewer aside from the inside of his legs when he was sick, but that was the first and only time he's chewed fur. This broke skin and it doesn't look super irritated but I don't like taking chances with him.

He has one lava ledge, and a wooden house in his cage(haven't gotten around to hanging new shelves yet). He's on fleece bedding with three tiles to hold it in place. Many nights, I have to reposition his house because he pulls it onto the tile and it wakes me up. I do this in the dark, could I have pinched his tail between the house and the edge of a tile maybe?

Let me know what you guys think, what I should do about it, etc... Sooner rather than later would be comforting. In this heat, I won't bring him to work unless absolutely necessary.

image.png

Do you have any, or can you get, Blu-Kote? I keep it on hand at all times to use for ringworm or wounds that aren't open and gaping. Usually you can get it a farm store. You might try that on there.

I do not have any on hand but I can order some. Do you know the quickest way to get some?

I have a handful of things available to me at work, but I don't know what would be chin acceptable or not. We have chlorahexidine scrub and solution, as well as betadine scrub and solution. Would either of those be suitable until I can get some?

You can find Blu-Kote at most farm supply stores. Tractor Supply should have it. Petsmart might have it, and you can probably order it from Amazon.

I have the kind with the dauber. It was cheaper, and you can just put some on a q-tip and apply it where you want it. The spray kind will get everywhere.

Last edited:
I have to order it online, since I'm working 12+ hours so I won't be able to stop anywhere for it.
It's just going to take another two days to come in, that's why I asked about something to use in the mean time. :]

Betadine won't hurt. It will clean it anyway. I don't think it looks like anything horrible that can't wait 2 days until you get the Blu-Kote. Lightly scrub it with the Betadine and then use the Blu-Kote when it gets there.

We don't get chinchilla in at work often so I'm still unfamiliar with what's alright for them and what's not. We had a rabbit and she used betadine so I assumed it was perfectly fine, just wanted to confirm if anyone was aware. :]
I have some on the way, so it should be here soon! Thank you all. I peaked at it last night and it looked much better, I don't think it's going to be a problem. This chinchilla is a tough little guy. :p

just be very careful with the Blu-Kote. It is easy to get it every where and it stains blue. Use a q-tip and be careful you don't spill the bottle It works pretty well though you will have a blue spotted chin for awhile

Back