Bearing on the Flying Saucer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amsue0222

chin lover
I just acquired a used flying saucer, but the bearing is loose and it looks a bit rusty or something. It is sooooo LOUD!! It is louder than a homemade wheel.

Can you replace the bearing in those?
Has anyone else done it?
How much are the bearings?
How difficult is it to change them?

I think Quality Cages sells replacement bearings. We ordered our saucer from them and they sent it with a spare, which wasn't too difficult to change out when the old one got dusty. You could probably write them and ask for detailed instructions on how to go about doing it, too.

You can purchase Saucers and parts from Meadowbrook Chinchillas. I don't recall Quality Cage Co. selling them, only Chin Spins.

http://www.chin-chillas.com/exercisewheels.htm

I've had one of their Saucers for about two years and it came with a spare bearing but I've not used it yet. It is extremely quiet, but I do have mine attached very securely in a wooden cage with extra u-bolts. I wonder how the one you got came to be rusty. Maybe they left it outside? I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Quality cage sells both chin spins and flying saucers but it may be slightly different than the one you have. Do you know where they got it from? I also think that it may partially be how you have it attached to the cage, meaning if its on sturdy?

Quality cage sells both chin spins and flying saucers but it may be slightly different than the one you have. Do you know where they got it from? I also think that it may partially be how you have it attached to the cage, meaning if its on sturdy?

I believe it came from QC originally, it looks a bit rusty and definitely loose.

I believe it came from QC originally, it looks a bit rusty and definitely loose.

It doesn't hurt to call them. Below is the info I got from their site, also maybe ask for the instructions to install the saucer because I believe you may need to add something, like a piece of board/wood (correct me if I'm wrong) to make it more sturdy in your cage.

"Please call our toll free number (1-888-762-2336) during business hours (8am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday, 8 am to 4 pm Saturday, Pacific Time)"

You can order a replacement bearing directly from Meadowbrook or I have one I can sell you too. Just PM me.

You can order a replacement bearing directly from Meadowbrook or I have one I can sell you too. Just PM me.

Thanks I already have an email/order into QC and I asked them a few questions as far as replacing the bearing. If this doesn't work I will pm to purchase the bearing from you. It is Saturday so I am sure that they will get back to me on Monday.

I just made Quality Cage aware of sealed bearings, and, as of last week, were still waiting for bids from 2 or 3 manufacturers, as they order them by the thousands.
Might wait until they get them, or at least ask if they're sealed before you order, as they'll last about 10 times longer - they're pre-lubed, have closer tolerances and are sealed both sides, so dust can't get in and destroy them!

I just made Quality Cage aware of sealed bearings, and, as of last week, were still waiting for bids from 2 or 3 manufacturers, as they order them by the thousands.
Might wait until they get them, or at least ask if they're sealed before you order, as they'll last about 10 times longer - they're pre-lubed, have closer tolerances and are sealed both sides, so dust can't get in and destroy them!

Thanks, they did tell me that they would eventually be getting new bearings--

Latest posts

Back